Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Making a Fuel cell.

i just purchased my new miller 252, it has straight CO2 gas and i use it mainly on steel.

i am looking into making a fuel cell for my jeep and was questioning making one out of aluminum or steel. i do not have aargon or a spoolgun so aluminum would take me on a ride to get one or borrow some one elses.

i just want what ever input you guys have. like why steel wont work. i know its heavier. the cell will be a simple rectangle all except the bottom will have a sump. i plan on doin baffles or foam but not sure on which. i know their are some on the market for cheep but i can not find one that fits just right.

lets hear some advice

I think weight is the main drawback. I've seen them made from stainless steel which is heavy. If weight isn't a factor I don't see why steel wouldn't work.

Steel has been used for fuel tanks forever. Its not going to look as cool. In my opinion cool looks mean nothing as far as function is concerned.

Id stay away from foam. Ive heard way too many stories about it coming apart and plugging the rest of the fuel system.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingpig View Post
    Steel has been used for fuel tanks forever. Its not going to look as cool. In my opinion cool looks mean nothing as far as function is concerned.

Id stay away from foam. Ive heard way too many stories about it coming apart and plugging the rest of the fuel system.
    so have i... i am thinking baffles.

looks like steel it is, dont forget to post us up some pic's when you get done.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Are you planning on a cell or a tank? A cell has an inner containment bladder of some type and an outer protective shell. Steel has a better elongation and puncture resistance than aluminum. I am a nut about building road race cars light weight and still will only use steel outer shells. You can get bladders in many off the shelf sizes and can also have them made to order. (made to order are nuts $$$)
    I am a fan of the foam for anti slosh. Easy to install and remove and works well. Be sure to use the right foam for the fuel you use and to replace it as needed. It is not expensive or hard to inspect and replace. Pulling all the foam out makes the cell easy to clean too.
    Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    Are you planning on a cell or a tank? A cell has an inner containment bladder of some type and an outer protective shell. Steel has a better elongation and puncture resistance than aluminum. I am a nut about building road race cars light weight and still will only use steel outer shells. You can get bladders in many off the shelf sizes and can also have them made to order. (made to order are nuts $$$)
    I am a fan of the foam for anti slosh. Easy to install and remove and works well. Be sure to use the right foam for the fuel you use and to replace it as needed. It is not expensive or hard to inspect and replace. Pulling all the foam out makes the cell easy to clean too.
    not all cells are built with internal bladders... tho many do. not all.

i decided to make it out of 16 ga. steel and it will have a angled bottom for less fuel starvation. it will have a inner frame that i will plate then fill with preasure and check for leaks. then i will seal the inside with por15 and make a sending unit ring. goin to the metal yard tomorrow. ill post pics as i do it.

I'd like to see the pics as you go. I have a fuel cell build in my future. It'll be aluminum. I'm leaning toward baffles instead of foam. I may switch to alcohol sometime down the road.

it will be alot like this one. i got side tracked and worked on the bike all yesterday so it looks like next tues ill go to the metal yard lol. and im not ganna coat it. but i am usin baffles and no foam

started on the fuel cell. lookin good and the seal looks nice but i will also re weld on the back side then im ganna grind back smooth... questionin on makein a thin angle iron outer skelatin... just for one more layer of seal plus im thinkin t would look pretty bling.... plus add some strength