Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Camping Trailer Frame Build

Hi,

I was going to build my camping trailer on a tube frame but saw some people using angle on utility trailers in this forum. My question is: I want to put the angle iron with the flat side up in order to place a sheet of plywood on the top of the frame and not down in the frame. How would I attach the A frame tongue to the bottom edge on the angle? There would be no surface to weld to just an edge. Hope I am making sense. I am thinking I would have to go to at least channel iron.

Default angle frame

NightCap, When I build with the angle frame I put the full length and front and rear cross facing up. All of the center crosses go under the perimeter frame leaving the flats to attach the tongue to. Here are a few examples of my basic frame constuction. Hope this helps. Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

i supose you could notch the front pice so the tung would go threw it and atach to the drop down part of the sides and next suport maybee ??
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default angle frame

After thinking about this for a few minutes, I don't think the angle frame is a real good idea for the use. Angle is o.k. for an open sided utility trailer, but I think it would have too much flex with the camper set up you are intending to do. Channel would also create some flex as well but would be more suited to this application. Box tube would probably be the easiest to work with though and would be more rigid and stable when you are walking around inside of the camper.
    How big of a camper are you going to build?, what do you estimate the weight will be fully outfitted?, that also has alot to do with the construction materials as well. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

dabar39, Thanks for the reply.
    Yep, that is what I was afraid of. I will try to attach a photoshop image of what I am trying to do. I am worried about rain water getting between the frame and the wall and floor of my Camper. So I want to put the wall on the outside of the frame. This way water will not roll down the wall into the frame. I think I might have to use channel or tube for the outside perimeter of the trailer.

you dont need to put the wall outsid the trailor just the outer sheeting be it steel or aluminum you just need to run it down past the frame to be ok.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    you dont need to put the wall outsid the trailor just the outer sheeting be it steel or aluminum you just need to run it down past the frame to be ok.
    I think that would work if I went with the aluminum siding however I am using epoxy with a couple of coats of enamel paint on this project. One of these days I'll get the confidence to do aluminum.

Smile building a camper

I just read your post for building a camper.you can set the camper itself right onto the frame.then use product called kemlight on the outside walls.it's a fiberglass paneling that is about 9 feet tall & cames what ever length you need.kemlight is used for inside walls of semi trailers.the stuff can take a pretty good beating.but it only comes in white & has a sptiled texture.you may find at a semi trailer shop like wabash or utility trailers.or you might even want to try alum, skin that is revited onto steel or alum, upright wall post.

Quote Originally Posted by emetech View Post
    I just read your post for building a camper.you can set the camper itself right onto the frame.then use product called kemlight on the outside walls.it's a fiberglass paneling that is about 9 feet tall & cames what ever length you need.kemlight is used for inside walls of semi trailers.the stuff can take a pretty good beating.but it only comes in white & has a sptiled texture.you may find at a semi trailer shop like wabash or utility trailers.or you might even want to try alum, skin that is revited onto steel or alum, upright wall post.
    Kemlight eh? I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

Here is a better link to the last camper I built. It is set into the frame.
    http://nightcap.no-ip.com/tearbuild/cimg1173.jpg