Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Question Anodizing prep for aluminum?

I'm seriously considering anodizing an aluminum cabinet frame. It will be 2'x3'x3', made from 2"x2" aluminum rect. tube, TIG'ed together. I know to use 5356 rod (instead of 4043 rod), otherwise I will find all the welds come out black.

I plan to belt-sand the welds flat, then buff it all to a high shine. Any advice on what to do (or NOT do) to the aluminum prior to having it anodized? Is it okay to have the rect. tubes with open ends, or to they need to be "sealed" at both ends?

Thank you in advance for sharing your expereinces.

open is fine and will make it easyer on the anadizer. things that float can be a real pain to anadize, been there done that, not fun.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default Sulfuric acid floaties

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    open is fine and will make it easyer on the anadizer. things that float can be a real pain to anadize, been there done that, not fun.
    Excellent point! I'll leave the ends open, or at least drill drain holes in strategic places. I don't want to make the anodizer's job more of a hassle, and trying to keep a highly bouyant project submerged in a sulfuric acid bath would NOT be a fun time.

I've looked at some of the kits available to do anodizing at home, but the size of my projects are too large, and too infrequent, to make it reasonable to have a 4x4x4 tank in my garage. However I do like the idea of being able to mask the part and put dye in selective areas for logos and designs. I was thinking of a two-tone flame design on some diamond plate. Some of the paint gun designs I've seen are terrific.

i did electroplating in MN for several years, trust me its best to let them do it. you could do the mask off work at home befor bringing it in but i would talk to them first to make shore they are ok with the process and matereals you use or they may not guarentee the work with your prep.
    you can take them a sample pice to see what they think is the best prep. they should be happy to work with you prior to plaiting as it will make there job easyer down the road.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES