Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default looking for welding instruction in idaho

Hi,

I am getting a used Syncowave 250 and want to learn TIG welding. I know I'll learn a lot faster if I had a class or some instruction. I'm not an absolute newbie to welding, but I am new to GTAW.

I've looked at welding classes at the college, but they are all geared for welding careers. I already have a career, and just want to weld as a hobby. If I take the college courses, they all have prerequisites and I would have to take a semester of theory before I even touch a welder, and they are quite expensive. I am studying the theory on my own, but am trying to find instruction.

Anyone know of any instruction in the boise/meridian area?

I've got a Hobart Handler 175, a Syncro 250, and a Hypertherm 600 cutter.

I don't know anyone in Meridian, plenty of guys from there though.

Give Randy Munns a call, he is in Logan Utah at Bridgerland Applied Tech. College, he may know a contact up there. There is always the AWS section meetings you can go to as well, you don't have to be a member of AWS. The section meetings are great for networking and finding just what you are after. If you need some help with it send me a PM.

I dont know about Boisie area, but the class at CSI in Twin Falls is pretty good. I have had to go in there to renew certs a few times. I have the name of the instructor and his phone # is you want it. It would be a long drive though. I know the class is 250$.

Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 12 RC wire feeder
    Miller HF 251D-1
    Miller 175 wire feed

Thanks for the response guys.

Well I got my used Syncrowave 250 yesterday. I've already gone through about 15 1/8" rods just practicing. (Steel). Everything is working great... the welder, water cooler, torch, foot pedal, etc.

I went to the LWS and bought different size collets, cups, tungstens, and rods. Right now I am just practicing laying beads on some old bed frame angle iron.

What can I say? This machine is a beast. It feels like an old classic car that still drives perfectly. Of course I've never used a brand new whizbang TIG welder, but the SW250 sure feels like it can weld anything I can throw at it. I think it will be the last welder I will ever need.

Anyway, haven't found any instruction yet, but I'm going to continue to practice every night I can and just keep burning rods and reading, trying to learn something.

scottf,

I live in Meridian as well.

The Larry Selland College down at BSU offers the types of classes you are looking for. I took one of their machining courses last semester and am thinking about the TIG welding class for this fall. It starts on September 20th.

Here's the link.

https://cwtreg.boisestate.edu/wconne...EL~Welding~MAN

send me a PM with your phone number if you'd like to talk additionally

Mark

Default welding lessons in boise!

Sue Latta at The Sculpture Studio in Boise does welding classes:
    http://thesculpturestudio.org/

Quote Originally Posted by scottf View Post
    Hi,

I am getting a used Syncowave 250 and want to learn TIG welding. I know I'll learn a lot faster if I had a class or some instruction. I'm not an absolute newbie to welding, but I am new to GTAW.

I've looked at welding classes at the college, but they are all geared for welding careers. I already have a career, and just want to weld as a hobby. If I take the college courses, they all have prerequisites and I would have to take a semester of theory before I even touch a welder, and they are quite expensive. I am studying the theory on my own, but am trying to find instruction.

Anyone know of any instruction in the boise/meridian area?

I've got a Hobart Handler 175, a Syncro 250, and a Hypertherm 600 cutter.

Did you look at the date of the last post? it was close to four years ago.