Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default welding on a truck

i need to weld a 2 inch long crack in the stake bed of a 2006 ford and was wondering do i need to disconect anything on the truck like the battery or airbags etc. i will be tig welding the crack
    thanks

I would disconnect the battery and unplug the ECM if it's still easy to get to....some wouldn't......is the bed covered under any warranty ?.....
    Mike
    George W. Bush was saving your butt whether you liked it or not!
    Fear is temporary, regret is forever
    HH210 with SG

some say disconect to be safe, others just say put the work lead as close as you can to the weld point. i have never disconected a battery and never had a problem. but i supose there could always be a first time for anything. being as its back on the bed i would just keep the work clamp(ground) as near as i could and TIG it up.
    just wondering why TIG, wouldnt MIG be faster? seems like a MIG job to me unless you just want the TIG time.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

tig is the only welder i have and no the bed is not covered under warranty as someone backed in to the rear side step
    thanks for the input

I've seen automotive ECM's burned up pretty bad, I mean actually melted from welding current. These were most likely the welder's fault, grounding on the front bumper and welding on the rear. Never had any problems myself. Just to be safe, disconnecting the battery should be good enough, although origional manufactures say to disconnect the ECM as well. On a CAT 657G dual engine scraper, there are 6 ECMs, worth a few thousand each. I only shut off the two master switches for the engines then weld away.
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000

Default frame crack

fatman, I too, have seen ecm's get fried, disconnect the ecm and the battery. It could cost you a ton of money replacing the electrical system. I would also suggest drilling a hole at the ends of the crack as well. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

i would at least disconnect the battery once forgot to got lucky and didnt fry anything but i thought i shure had.
    welding...its awsome