Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Performance Cryogenics

Hey guys,
    I was wondering if any of you guys use any of the Cryo company's out there to increase the strength of your gears and things.
    The reason that I was wondering is I just sent some gears out of my NV 5600transmission out of my Dodge 3500 dually down to Performance Cryogenics in Mooresville N.C. I have taken out 6th gear a few times and don't see it stopping unless I can get some stronger parts. (Big power + heavy loads = breakage). After talking with Lyle down there I felt pretty comfortable send him the parts.
    So how about it any of you motor sports guys sending your parts out to be treated? Did it help?
    See ya,
    Bulldog
    Attached Images Attached Images
    5 Passport Pluses
    2 MM 212's
    MM 210
    MM 251 MIA
    MM 350 P w/Python
    Syncrowave 250
    w/ tig runner
    Trailblazer 302
    12RC w/meters
    Spectrum 1000
    Spectrum 2050
    2 Black BWEs
    Joker BWE
    Star & stripe BWE Digital
    2 star & stripe xlix's

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE
    CUMMINS BABY

There was one guy that did all the lower units. He made them bullet proof. No one ever asked how.

Rumor was everything was frozen.
    Tom

Here is another process that might help make your gears last longer, at least reduce wear on them and maybe get you some "slightly" better mileage.

http://www.mikronite.com

I have no personal experience with it but it is suppose to be the cat a$$ for gears.

-Dan

Also look into meta-lax. It's a stress reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    Hey guys,
    I was wondering if any of you guys use any of the Cryo company's out there to increase the strength of your gears and things.
    The reason that I was wondering is I just sent some gears out of my NV 5600transmission out of my Dodge 3500 dually down to Performance Cryogenics in Mooresville N.C. I have taken out 6th gear a few times and don't see it stopping unless I can get some stronger parts. (Big power + heavy loads = breakage). After talking with Lyle down there I felt pretty comfortable send him the parts.
    So how about it any of you motor sports guys sending your parts out to be treated? Did it help?
    See ya,
    Bulldog
    I used to be a rep for 300 Below and we did a ton of stuff for a bunch of the big name racers. It worked good on many things. Mainly on things with .4 or higher carbon (like 1040,4140 etc...) but worked super on stuff like 1090.
    Worked a lot of good on tool on tool steels. You may see some improvement. Hope that sounds encouraging for you. It's been about 10 yrs ago now.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Thanks guys,
    I had the parts overnighted to Performance Cryogenics they did there deal and overnighted the parts back so hopfully I get the transmision back together today or tomorrow and should have the truck back together and on the road Monday.
    I'll report back on how the gears hold up.
    see ya,
    Bulldog
    5 Passport Pluses
    2 MM 212's
    MM 210
    MM 251 MIA
    MM 350 P w/Python
    Syncrowave 250
    w/ tig runner
    Trailblazer 302
    12RC w/meters
    Spectrum 1000
    Spectrum 2050
    2 Black BWEs
    Joker BWE
    2 star & stripe xlix's

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE
    CUMMINS BABY

Well, you cant do it now, but I Had my gears out of my T-56 tremec 6 speed in my Camaro race car Mikronited. And it has held up wonderfully to 550 RWHP and 6200 RPM clutch drops on slicks. Before that the gears would last a year or so.... If It happens again, look into it.
    Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
    2000 Camaro SS (Race car)

I'll take a look at that Bad. My problem is my truck is HEAVY and I haul HEAVY loads with the torque that my truck makes it's not hard to see why I take the teeth off the gears. The NV5600 is a very strong trans but when the torque gets over 1200 ftlbs over drive just can't take it. I'm hoping that this cyro deal works out. I just installed a DD clutch and it wont slip like the South Bend fe was. I should find out pretty soon if the new gears will hold up or not.
    See ya,
    Bulldog
    5 Passport Pluses
    2 MM 212's
    MM 210
    MM 251 MIA
    MM 350 P w/Python
    Syncrowave 250
    w/ tig runner
    Trailblazer 302
    12RC w/meters
    Spectrum 1000
    Spectrum 2050
    2 Black BWEs
    Joker BWE
    2 star & stripe xlix's

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE
    CUMMINS BABY

I understand "cryo," but I think it is a joke. Heat treating is a much better solution to a broken gear problem. I worked for a Subaru Race Shop that is the soul importer of PPG gears from Aussy. Look them up. They are the strongest gears period. We tested all other manufactures in real race cars and they all broke. Only PPG held up to the test. "Cryo" failed just as fast as a stock gear did. I'm sure for other applications "cryo" works great, but not in a manual transmission. This was my bread and butter for many years, so trust me when I say it is all in the metallurgy and heat treating. They make gears for a wide variety of applications. Very expensive, but if you make the power and it holds for run after run after run etc.... then it is worth it.

James
    Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
    WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
    Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
    20Ton press
    And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
    www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Thanks for the reply Boostin,
    I don't know if it's a joke or not the way I see it it was worth a try. I know the heat treated gears that I had wasn't going to hold up so I thought that I would give it a try. I know a lot of people use cryo so what the heck. The real solution is to back the power down or stay in direct. I wonder if PPG would even make a gear for a NV5600. I should reach out to them. Do you have a link? It would be interesting to see how they would hold up to some big torque loads. Not that your Subaru didn't test the gears but to say a Subaru has torque well now there's a joke...
    see ya
    Bulldog
    Last edited by Bulldog; 07-05-2008 at 07:26 AM.
    5 Passport Pluses
    2 MM 212's
    MM 210
    MM 251 MIA
    MM 350 P w/Python
    Syncrowave 250
    w/ tig runner
    Trailblazer 302
    12RC w/meters
    Spectrum 1000
    Spectrum 2050
    2 Black BWEs