Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Burnt Eyes

Default Burnt Eyes

What's up guys, Been away too long, As usual with this board, a neverending supply of good info. I bought a Jackson Nex-gen helmet a while back, In my opinion its a tad heavier than I expected but I love the big lens. Anyways, I did a dumb thing a few weeks ago. I switched it to grind mode because the position I was in I needed some face protection. I saw a small spot that needed welding, reached for my gun and went at it. I only welded fo a couple of seconds and realized something was wrong. I switched it back to weld and did'nt think anymore about it. The next day I was in severe pain. Potatoes Cucumber slices, nothing helped. It took two weeks to completely return to normal. Lesson learned.
    Monte, My aunt is realy interested in some of the things you make and she may contact you.
    I recently got a heck of a deal on some 5x12 I-beams. I got 2- 20 footers and a piece about 15 feet long all for $125. The are clean and straight and I want to build a gantry crane in my shop. Any pics of homemade lifts?? I will probably just build a typical A-frame but I'm open to ideas. Adam
    Webb's Welding and Repair LLC
    MM210 w/a 3035 spoolgun
    Syncrowave 250
    Spectrum 625
    Trialbazer 302 w/HF
    http://webbsweldingandrepair.com/home

I thought AD protected you from UV even if they didn't darken properly. Hope you're back to normal.
    Last edited by monte55; 06-27-2008 at 02:28 PM.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    I thought AD protected you from UV even if they didn't darken properly. Hope you're back to normal.
    They do.

But he got some sensitive eyes and the irritation is just from the brightness.

You can weld in the grind mode all day iffin' ya can stand it- no damage. The Shade levels are for comfort and allows the eye to adjust so that you can see what yer doing.

Since he said he was in a position that needed face protection when grinding perhaps the UV was bouncing around the surroundings and getting behind the hood. ?

Although I usually need Face protection in any position while grinding
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Ed, I have been wondering if the glare came up from underneath my helmet. I was welding in a real awkward position and I had my neck tilted way back. From now on I am going to wear uv glasses under my hood. I am also going to wear darker colored shirts to cut reflection down from now on. Adam
    Webb's Welding and Repair LLC
    MM210 w/a 3035 spoolgun
    Syncrowave 250
    Spectrum 625
    Trialbazer 302 w/HF
    http://webbsweldingandrepair.com/home

Jet, like they say in Real Estate, reflection, reflection, reflection......or something like that, I have been nailed one time and it was with a white shirt, just look inside the helmet while making an arc and you will see lots of blue light, bad......a pair of straw or yellow safty glasses will help loads in reducing the UV that gets around the helmet...makes other things look sharper, especially computers which have tons of uv, not the harmful type though, tas it removes uv and blue which the human eye can see, but not focus on, hope this helps,Paul
    More Spark Today Please