Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Can I mig weld stainless steel

Hello,

I am pretty new, and wanted to see if I can Mig Weld stainless steel. Are there any tricks and can anyone point me in the direction of some instructions on how to setup for it?

Thanks,

What machine do you have? What type of stainless are you welding? You must use tri-mix and it does cost a lot more then 75-25 mix. Plate, pipe, thickness. It's easy to weld with the right set up. IMHO.

James
    Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
    WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
    Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
    20Ton press
    And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
    www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Default Over my head!

I think I am over my head on the stainless idea. I am running a millermatic 172 setup for steel. I think it is a 75%/25% argon mixture.

I was told to use a flux core wire to make my life easier, and was hoping I could do the same with Stainless.

I am only looking to weld small decorative items, like a 2'x3' fountain with pretty thin metal. I also thought about using it for highlights on a gate I am building.

just switch your wire and weld if you dont have tri mix try welding with 25/75. stainless steel welds just like steel. if you arent sure just try it on a couple pieces of scrap. your machine is fine and has the same capacities for stainless steel as for steel.

If you don't care about the welds rusting, just weld it with ER70S-6 and C-25. If you want to keep the rust away, I'd get a small roll of ER309L and still use C-25.

I've welded SS with C-25, and it turns out OK for small stuff. If I were going to get into serious SS fabrication, I'd probably want the helium/argon/COČ tri-mix, but I'd sure run a coupon or two first before I bought another gas cylinder!

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Default gas mix

has anyone tried argon/ 2% co2 ?
    as per Ed's suggestion: http://www.weldreality.com/stainlesswelddata.htm

I'd be curious to see what the welds look like from a mig (like mine: 210 miller)

Thanks!!

Jack

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jackflash View Post
    has anyone tried argon/ 2% co2 ?
    as per Ed's suggestion: http://www.weldreality.com/stainlesswelddata.htm

I'd be curious to see what the welds look like from a mig (like mine: 210 miller)

Thanks!!

Jack
    Nope never tried it. I don't need anymore bottles and i don't do that much of it. But if i had a mixer that would be pretty easy since i have those bottles...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Just finished job using S.S wire. we used tri mix for all but about 3 hrs worth ran out after LWS had closed finished that evening with 75/25 it ran just fine seems like it splattered a little more.

I suggest looking into Praxair's Stargon VS (STAR66) gas, It's designed to be use with Mild Steel as well as Stainless, as good or better than using 75%Argon/25%CO2 for Mild or Tri-Mix for Stainless.

that is the gas I always have hooked up to my MIG machine, so if i need to do a stainless MIG weld, I just have to switch out the wire and that's it.

Cost is probably just a tad bit more than C-25, the Stargon VS costs me $30-ish to fill up a 125cf tank.

Stargon VS is a blend of 82% Argon, 8% Co2, and 10% Helium.

Stainless does take a little more amperage than mild steel to weld the same thickness.

Default SS MIG Wire

C-25 or 100% CO2 can be used with most types of gas shielded flux cored SS wire.

98% argon/ 2% O2 for metal cored

SS MIG wire, depending on type, uses 95/5 CO2, 97/02 or Tr-Mix 90He/7.5Ar/2.5 CO2 for short arc and 98 Ar/ 2% O for axial spray transfer.

Know your metals and your wire for correct application

Dave
    Last edited by davedarragh; 05-20-2009 at 06:47 AM.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"