Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Paul,
    As a senior member and having a few years in the trade you should be aware of the dangers of having a o2 tank inside the shop whitout being purged. Welding should never be done while product is still in the tank, you are setting a bad example for all the young guns out there, we should be teaching them how to be safe in the workplace.

Doug.

Default welding stainless

Quote Originally Posted by SignWave View Post
    We havent had any beads around here in a while. I'd love to see some decent Stainless welds- seeing as how thats where my troubles have been lately. Anyone care to share?

Ive pasted 4 pics. Four different levels of competance. 4 pics, 4 minutes of experience....
    Remember if weld is black or dark gray in color like oxidized then there is a few things to keep in mind. One /amps used want you want use as little as possible ,stainless does dissipate heat well so easy to over heat. Stainless has a lower melting point then that of steel. Gas flow 17 to 20cfh. Electrode to work distance is also important with stainless the closer the better 1/16 of and inch, to long increases arc volts. Then you want the biggest sheilding cup you can like a 10. That gives you better gas coverage so atmostphere doesnt hit the bead when it is hot. that is the most common that causes the color of the bead.

good luck
    Last edited by youweldititestit; 12-14-2008 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by youweldititestit View Post
    stainless does dissipate heat well so easy to over heat.
    It's actually the opposite. SS does not dissipate heat very well (in comparison to mild steel, aluminum etc...). It's easy to overheat because the heat stays in such a small area and doesn't dissipate from the weld zone.
    Thermal Arc 185TSW, Lincoln SP135+, 4-post automotive hoist, 2x media blast cabinets, 50 ton press, 80gal air compressor, 4-1/2"x6" bandsaw, 4'x4' Torchmate CNC table with plate marker, Hypertherm Powermax 65 plasma cutter, ultrasonic cleaning stations

Well here goes. Some of the work I do at my job.

Default Love to see this stuff

I'm new to welding and this is exactly the kind of stuff I like to see. I've had no formal training so seeing what the big guns do gives me a point to aim for. Thanks Guys

Default Great beads!

Quote Originally Posted by jdustu View Post
    there are a bunch of practice bead pics in this set on my flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/browndo...7607259742189/

-Josh
    Excellent use of Flickr to shar your photos!