Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Lets see some beads

We havent had any beads around here in a while. I'd love to see some decent Stainless welds- seeing as how thats where my troubles have been lately. Anyone care to share?

Ive pasted 4 pics. Four different levels of competance. 4 pics, 4 minutes of experience....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SignWave; 06-25-2008 at 12:01 AM.
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

way too hot, turn down the amps. im guessing ur tigging these welds? amps at about 50 for this light of stuff and make sure u have good gas flow. ill try to get into the shop do do some for ya and take some pics but been pretty busy packing. (moving to australia)
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches
    way to many other tools to list

hey were are u at in van? i have to spend a couple days in surrey before i go ill be there right around the 7th of july pm me if ur close and want some help.
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches
    way to many other tools to list

Default Stainless welds

Here are a couple I have done. Nature of the business-I can't load more it would give the project away.
    Last edited by diamondback; 06-25-2008 at 10:08 AM.

Default more

more stainless, I had to crop some of the project out and resize so it made some pics a little fuzzy. These are from a "canned" accu-curve program in the Axcess machine.
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (394.6 KB, 4017 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (157.4 KB, 3095 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (346.9 KB, 2512 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (327.4 KB, 2658 views)

here's a couple of some welds done using an Argon/Hydrogen blend. the hydrogen produces a reducing atmosphere that helps reduce the oxidation to pretty much zero. increases fluidity, faster travel speed, lower heat affected zone, etc.

Default your bead

Quote Originally Posted by diamondback View Post
    Here are a couple I have done. Nature of the business-I can't load more it would give the project away.
    You are using a spool gun, not tig, right?
    Millermatic 210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 625 X-treme
    Hobart Champion 16 W/
    Miller 8VS Suitcase
    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
    Tons of Tools
    Microwave
    Laptop and Printer
    Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!

Default Beads

Quote Originally Posted by SignWave View Post
    We havent had any beads around here in a while. I'd love to see some decent Stainless welds- seeing as how thats where my troubles have been lately. Anyone care to share?

Ive pasted 4 pics. Four different levels of competance. 4 pics, 4 minutes of experience....
    I looked at your welds, they are oxidixed, this happens from welding too hot or not properly shielding the material or a combination of both.Stainless steel needs to be shielded from the backside to prevent this from happening,when stainless steel oxidizes it refuses to flow.The welders natural tendency is to increase heat which makes the problem worse.There are other variables that can contribute to dirty welds, such as tungsten size,rod feeding techniques,dirty material, dirty tungsten, etc.

Default welding stainless

Quote Originally Posted by SignWave View Post

Remember if weld is black or dark gray in color like oxidized then there is a few things to keep in mind. One /amps used want you want use as little as possible ,stainless does dissipate heat well so easy to over heat. Stainless has a lower melting point then that of steel. Gas flow 17 to 20cfh. Electrode to work distance is also important with stainless the closer the better 1/16 of and inch, to long increases arc volts. Then you want the biggest sheilding cup you can like a 10. That gives you better gas coverage so atmostphere doesnt hit the bead when it is hot. that is the most common that causes the color of the bead.

good luck
    Last edited by youweldititestit; 12-14-2008 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by youweldititestit View Post
    stainless does dissipate heat well so easy to over heat.
    It's actually the opposite. SS does not dissipate heat very well (in comparison to mild steel, aluminum etc...). It's easy to overheat because the heat stays in such a small area and doesn't dissipate from the weld zone.
    Thermal Arc 185TSW, Lincoln SP135+, 4-post automotive hoist, 2x media blast cabinets, 50 ton press, 80gal air compressor, 4-1/2"x6" bandsaw, 4'x4' Torchmate CNC table with plate marker, Hypertherm Powermax 65 plasma cutter, ultrasonic cleaning stations