Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Huge angle

At last the pictures are in and continued on next thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images

And the last ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve; 07-12-2008 at 12:40 PM.

still dont know why u didnt get tubing instead of welding angle iron together.??

but good looking welds and nice job. did u torch the bevel or air arc it?
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches
    way to many other tools to list

After it cools off I'll see how straight it is for ya. I did nothing to counter distortion. and really doesn't matter much due to the length. Boss said to use angle cause last time he didn't bite on tubing cause of the price of tubing. I didn't the price this time either. He was smilling last I saw when I told him it was still hot.
    Used an old victor powered torch to cut the bevel, then flat gound a tish with 9 in grinder. Ran into some bubbly stuff in three spots so had to grind that out and reweld. For the next group of photos in this project will start a new thread.

Its two angles welded together and surprizingly enough they almost straighten themselves. I thought the first one would bow all over but it didn't. I mean I start at the same end and weld to the end, flip weld to the end, flip last pass to the end, and flip the last time and weld to the end, only stopping to change leathers and gloves.

Actually the whole angle had a slight bow to from the beginning. When I left the Boss didn't mention it being bowed. He has micrometer eyes and a mini camera in his head. But I'm going to string it Monday. 1/4 inch bow in 10 feet either way is negligable in this purpose.

Good job Steve. I don't think that I've ever used angle iron that didn't have a bow in it. Granted, I've not used 8 x 8 x 3/4 angle.
    Jim

Thanks Jim-TX. Anybody got a slant on the settings of the MP65E I used?

the steel mills prebow all assymetric sections

Default Disagree

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    A fully welded box is going to be way stronger than one with intermittent welds.
    I was taught that on long stretches of heavy material to break up the welds so flex spots are there. Fully welded means hardened areas and cracking. I did this on my service truck and haven't had any problems after 10k miles and a lot of weight. The road is hard on things!!!
    Millermatic 210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 625 X-treme
    Hobart Champion 16 W/
    Miller 8VS Suitcase
    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
    Tons of Tools
    Microwave
    Laptop and Printer
    Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!