Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Don't overthink this OK? It's just a grinder. Sears has some good ones for about 25 to 50 bucks and you'll get your money's worth. If you're a tool junkie like me get 2! One for your wire wheel and one for your grinding disc. Get a cheap one and an expensive one. I suggest the paddle trigger since if you drop it then it will automatically shut off. By-the-way good luck in your class.
    Matt Adams A&P, IA
    Trailblazer 302
    Dialarc HF

I agree 100% with not over-thinking this. It is just a grinder. I have never really been happy with the paddle trigger, I found that to shut it off I had two fingers on the trigger and was trying to hold a spinning grinder with my last two fingers. I just found this incomfortable, so I use the gun trigger styles. Makita 9005 5" for lighter work. Makita 9015DBZ or 9016DBZ for heavier work. The 9015 & 9016 are the exact same model, just one is sold as a 5" (cheaper) and one is sold as a 6".
    Whatever you decide, if you're new to angle grinders, always use the aux. handle, the guard (cut down to 120 degree sweep if you like) safety glasses and a faceshield. Hearing protection is a good idea too. We only have one set of eyes and ears. Protect them. They have to last you a lifetime.

Later,

Spend a little money on a better grinder. 13 amps ( for a 5")seems to last the longest when you're using it all the time. And pack the grease into the gear head once in a while, it helps in keeping the tool ready for use no matter what type of disk you use...
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000

verry true guys.
    wile we would all love to have a garage or back yard shop full of 5 or 6 metabo's its just not real practical for a home shop. unless you got lots of extra $ them by all means go fo it. hence my sugjestion for the green B&D at wally world for $49. its 6 or 7 amps probly 7 like the craftsmen i just got. easy to use triger and should last a wile for home use. if he is just starting out he is going to find a huge list of stuff he will want/need to get. but i still think you should get some quality out of your tools when ever possible even if its not the top of the line stuff. i realy dont think a home shop needs a 12amp 4.5" grinder, if ya have the extra $$ and want to go for it any way thats cool go for it. but if he thinks its heavy, just wait till he turns it on. some thing in the 7-9 amp is more to suit i think. and still plenty of power for a 4.5" grinder.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Talking

Metabo all the way! I wont buy anything else. There the best grinder I've ever used. I burned up the dewalt they gave me at work after a month and switched to using my Metabo. I'm going to get a couple more soon. Flap wheel, grinding wheel, and wire wheel. Mine should have deid a year ago the way I treat it but it works just as good as the day I got it.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...0/000_0122.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...0/000_0123.jpg

Thumbs up

I agree with the MIG hater.... Just joking anti-gmaw,. I like the Metabos too, but they do cost more than some others. I have a couple and love them. On the other hand my dad has a couple Black and Decker "proffesional" series models , not the ones from Wal-mart, and they have been around awhile, So my 2 cents is, buy the best you can afford. Somebody else said it but you'll end up with more than one grinder so you'll figure out which one you like best. good luck

Now I rememeber where i left my grinder......in the kitchen......[laughing]
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Dewalt-case close
    301 trailblazer
    12vs extreme mig box
    spectrum plus plasma
    steelmax mag drill
    millwaukee steel cutting skillsaw

dewalt 14" cold cut off saw
    various hand &power tools
    spoolmatic 30a

i defenetly cant argue that. i have an extensive colection of dewalt tools and none have ever let me doen. some older than others but i have never had one break on me. but i got most all my dewalts when i was working and had way, way, way more $$ to spend, now i get the best i can aford insted of the best i can think of.
    there are a lot of middle ground grinders that will work out just fine in a home or light duty shop, for some of us thats the best we can do.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default 4.5 inch angle grinder

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Welder View Post
    I'm new to welding. I'm taking a MIG class and need to purchase an electric hand grinder. I like Milwaukee Electric's line of grinders and was set to buy its 13 AMP model, but it's too heavy for me. Milwaukee has a number of lighter weight grinders, but they have lower amperage. What amperage is adequate? There's an 8.5 AMP model. Do you think that's sufficient? Thanks.
    I'd recomend a Makita... they r light weight and they have the power for the job.

This may get a howl from everyone else but I was in Harbor Freight and a guy from a fab shop across the street was buying 10 HF grinders. He said they (the yellow ones from HF, not the blue ones) last just as long as Makita and other "name" brands. His employees trash them anyway so he stopped spending big money on grinders. I bought 3 (I think they were $18) so I wouldn't have to change wheels. After a year of home welding use, they are still fine.