Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

David, what bike is it?

Default Reply message for motorcycle training wheels

Quote Originally Posted by David_D. View Post
    Do any of you have a kids motorcycle with training wheels? If so, I would like to know how wide they are. I'm building a set for my kid's bike.

Thanks
    I have made up training wheels for my grandsons electric motorbike , which travels at speeds of up to 40 kiometers a hour. The 6 " wheels are mounted on a 19 1/2 " wide crossbar which is bolted under the motorcycle frame with a U -bolt on each side of the frame. The crossbar is 1/4 " flat bar X 2 1/2" wide. The ends of the crossbar are bent downwards at 90 degrees , with a hole for a 1/2 " bolt which goes through the wheel hub and is fastened with flat washers and a locknut. The 6 " wheel has bearings in the hub [ bought at Canadian Tire -- lawnmower wheels. This outfit of mine is still straight , and not bent yet after all the abuse it gets from the youngster driving his bike over all terain at full speed. There you go for training wheels for a motorcycle !---------------------------------

Talking

Further proof people with debate any subject to death!

Anyway, here is the answer to the question that you asked: Axle is 28" wide. A 10" diameter air-filled tire sits outboard of the measurment I gave so that means the entire set-up is about 36" wide. The axle is 1/2 material (I would go at least 5/8 if I were making it). My daughter rides with this set-up. She is big for a 4 year old. The bike is a Honda 50 with adjustable throttle so I have it dialed down to limit the danger and my running. Here is the most important part of the message if you are still reading: The guys selling these on the internet say that they bolt right up (they do) and don't affect anything (total Bull Sh*t). The axle WILL interfere with the rear brake lever and limit or prevent safe usage of the rear brake. To correct this, I took a piece of 5/8 rod and welded it to the bottom of the axle where it travels under the brake lever. Then I ground out a notch in the actual axle allowing the brake lever to follow its proper travel without limitation. I don't have full travel of the lever, but you can adjust the drum brake at the wheel to take up some slack and have a rear brake again.
    Have fun.

PS. I like the post on counter-steer.

Check this site out for ideas...

http://www.wheels4tots.com/

The speeds at which these bikes will be traveling makes it unlikely that they will counter steer anyways. I would also look into getting a remote kill switch rather than chasing a runaway xr50.

John
    John

Millermatic DVI
    Millermatic 375 xtreme
    And a brand new Syncro 200!!!

I honestly dont believe that a motorcycle of any type is suitable for any preteen. So many deaths over the years because of misuse on ATV's and 2 wheelers. Yes a remote kill switch is a good idea for sure.

I started riding at 14 on a Honda XL125. Crashed that alot of times before I figured out how to actually ride it safely. Now 37 years later have owned a multitude of bikes, even lost my licence a couple of times. Just sold off my Honda Rune, and my Texas Chopper earlier, in favour of a bigass Jet boat.

respectfully , I disagree, Started on a rupp minibike, progressed much farther, then I turned into a teen ager.

One thing you do need to take into consideration, does the kid have the wiring... balance, comon sense with respect to braking distance and negotiating turns and road hazards.

Training wheels, that just flat out makes me nervous.

If you are thinking of puting a remote kill switch, I would really be asking myself, why exactly am I puting this kid on this vehicle?

If you are SO uncomfortable that you need remote control,,,, step slowly away from the switch, and find another hobby.

If the kid has balance problems, put them in a kart, or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by trstek View Post
    respectfully , I disagree, Started on a rupp minibike, progressed much farther, then I turned into a teen ager.

One thing you do need to take into consideration, does the kid have the wiring... balance, comon sense with respect to braking distance and negotiating turns and road hazards.

Training wheels, that just flat out makes me nervous.

If you are thinking of puting a remote kill switch, I would really be asking myself, why exactly am I puting this kid on this vehicle?

If you are SO uncomfortable that you need remote control,,,, step slowly away from the switch, and find another hobby.

If the kid has balance problems, put them in a kart, or something else.

I think you may be overthinking this a bit. Training wheels are used to teach throttle control and braking while in a quiet, flat area where turning is not an issue. The remote kill is used to keep someone new from falling off and sending the bike careening off into someone else. Usually once starting and stopping are mastered, the wheels come off. As does the kill switch and you have a happy two wheeled post toddler.

John
    John

Millermatic DVI
    Millermatic 375 xtreme
    And a brand new Syncro 200!!!

Everyone learns different. I had training wheels on my bicycle. By the time I was on a minibike, all I had to learn was throttle control, it was the only new variable, was about six, I think, a long time ago would have to ask dad.

do believe in what ever works. but solid bicycle skills first, then motor bicycles is how I learned.

Course we did not have the hp or suspensions they have today.

Bottom line, if its your kid, do what you think is the right way to teach them.

my opinion, why would you want in the back of your kids mind that someone will step in and save them if they get in trouble? in the world of bikes where people leave us every day, because of bad decisions or being in the wrong place at the right time, things happen not all of them good.

again my opinion, teaching your kid the cost of their decisions is as important as teaching them to ride. This was how I was raised, and have come to agree with my pop as time has passed.

Some times I wonder how my ma and pop stood back and watched us take off on the bikes and wait for us to come home. We rode in the national forest in northern wisconsin. They had a certian faith in us and how things work. And, I have to agree with them, made me what I am today.

When I started on the rupp, was a small confined area, the throttle was limited, couldn;t reach / work the brakes, so that wasn't an issue.

Dad was probably thinking, if I could live through my brother and his friends pulling me in a ball bearing wagon from my grandpa, behind two bicycles, flipping over, getting dragged, I could probably handle a minibike in a controlled situation... Course everyone grows up different.

Tom

TRSTEK has it right folks, no matter what you think is the right way to teach your kid anything, someone will disagree, so unless they are bleeding after everything you have ever done with them,. then you are prolly doing alright and you should doing things how you feel you should. Slap some wheel on the bike, and send the kid flyin' through the mud. Have fun and good luck.