Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Motorcycle training wheels

Do any of you have a kids motorcycle with training wheels? If so, I would like to know how wide they are. I'm building a set for my kid's bike.

Thanks

Teach the kids how to ride a bicycle without training wheels first. After that anybody can ride a motorcycle. Ive seen kids riding like that and theyll tip onto the training wheel, let the engine rev, then come back down on the spinning drive wheel(usually looking backwards). Thats when the real problems start. I would avoid the training wheels as a matter of safety.

He can ride his bike without training wheels. He had a pretty bad crash on the motorcycle, so I plan on using the training wheels so he can get efficient with the throttle and brake. He's just a bit short for the bike, so I thought this would be a good way to get him started. I don't think he will need them long at all. Also, with the suspension on the bike, he should have 4 wheels on the ground at all times.

i gotta agree with Flyingpig, i think the training wheel will make it dangerous. throw some pad's on him and let him at it.life is full of lil bump's, he will get the hang of it fast enough, just stay slow till he dose (easyer said then done.)
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Training wheels are a bad idea on a motorcycle. Motorcycles, when on two wheels, use "counter steering" to turn. This means you actually turn away from the direction you want to go. But when a motorcycle has three wheels (training wheels or a side car) they actually steer like a car...turn into the direction you want to go. Therefore as a motorcycle (or a bicycles) shifts back and forth between two and three wheels, the bike is constantly changing direction. This might be OK on a bicycle that doesn't go very fast, but on any size motorcycle, it a disaster. Many folks have been killed with sidecar rigs, going around a corner with three wheels on the ground and suddenly you "fly the car" and lift the sidecar wheel. The motorcycle immediately reverts to counter steer and you cross the yellow line and have a head-on with oncoming traffic.

No child should be on a motorcycle that can't handle a bicycle perfectly IMO
    RoyB
    Dartmouth, MA

http://www.rvbprecision.com

Millermatic 185 MIG
    Miller Diversion 165
    Purox W200 O/A
    Grizzly 9957 Mill
    Grizzly 4030 Metal Band Saw
    Grizzly 1050 Knife Belt Sander
    Jet 1236 Metal Lathe
    TP Blast Cabinet

rbertalotto interesting comment on how bikes vs cars steer. Sort of makes sense but I'm just not visuallizing the mechanics of it right now. I undersatnd the concept however. I used to run an 80K articulated loader occasionally and it always took me a bit to get used to the steering after not running it for quite a while. You turned the wheel to go right but your body would turn left at first ( you were sitting behind the pivot ) It would take a bit to stop reacting to the "wrong" visual input. When you least expected it, say in a panic situation where someone pulled out in front of you, you would instintively try to correct for what your eyes were telling you was wrong when turning and try to turn back the other way.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by David_D. View Post
    He had a pretty bad crash on the motorcycle.....
    Quote Originally Posted by rbertalotto View Post
    Training wheels are a bad idea on a motorcycle. <snip>
    No child should be on a motorcycle that can't handle a bicycle perfectly. IMO
    I agree with everything Flyingpig and Rbertalotto said.
    FWIW: I've been riding almost 40 years.
    Last edited by Craig in Denver; 06-25-2008 at 12:43 PM.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

Quote Originally Posted by rbertalotto View Post
    Training wheels are a bad idea on a motorcycle. Motorcycles, when on two wheels, use "counter steering" to turn. This means you actually turn away from the direction you want to go. But when a motorcycle has three wheels (training wheels or a side car) they actually steer like a car...turn into the direction you want to go. Therefore as a motorcycle (or a bicycles) shifts back and forth between two and three wheels, the bike is constantly changing direction. This might be OK on a bicycle that doesn't go very fast, but on any size motorcycle, it a disaster. Many folks have been killed with sidecar rigs, going around a corner with three wheels on the ground and suddenly you "fly the car" and lift the sidecar wheel. The motorcycle immediately reverts to counter steer and you cross the yellow line and have a head-on with oncoming traffic.

No child should be on a motorcycle that can't handle a bicycle perfectly IMO
    I doubt he'll be crossing the Yellow Line riding in the dirt or dealing with Counter steering

Of course I'm assuming he is adding Training wheels to a little 50cc Dirt Bike - I mean who would add training wheels to a street bike
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    rbertalotto interesting comment on how bikes vs cars steer. Sort of makes sense but I'm just not visuallizing the mechanics of it right now. I undersatnd the concept however. I used to run an 80K articulated loader occasionally and it always took me a bit to get used to the steering after not running it for quite a while. You turned the wheel to go right but your body would turn left at first ( you were sitting behind the pivot ) It would take a bit to stop reacting to the "wrong" visual input. When you least expected it, say in a panic situation where someone pulled out in front of you, you would instintively try to correct for what your eyes were telling you was wrong when turning and try to turn back the other way.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersteering

Enjoy
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Smile

Here is some motorcycle training wheels I saw in Daytona Memorial weekend and this is not for me but the lady riding it was pretty
    Hmm, I was going to show them as an attachment but it won't let me ?
    I tried.