Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
 
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 103
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post

    I was trimming the tree in my front yard one day.
    Some visitor at the neighbor's came up, and said,
    "I have a tree in my yard that needs trimming too, maybe you.....".

    I told her, "Sure,,, bring it over".


    .

    Ha, ha!! That's great!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ****inson ND
    Posts
    557

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Another common statement that makes my teeth grate:

    Whenever someone sees you doing something-anything, they'll say,
    "Oh,,, you can come over and do mine too".

    I was trimming the tree in my front yard one day.
    Some visitor at the neighbor's came up, and said,
    "I have a tree in my yard that needs trimming too, maybe you.....".

    I told her, "Sure,,, bring it over".

    It was all I could do to keep a straight face as she looked at me like I was crazy.

    .
    Thats halarious! What are some of you guys charging for hourly rates for feild work?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Another common statement that makes my teeth grate:

    Whenever someone sees you doing something-anything, they'll say,
    "Oh,,, you can come over and do mine too".

    I was trimming the tree in my front yard one day.
    Some visitor at the neighbor's came up, and said,
    "I have a tree in my yard that needs trimming too, maybe you.....".

    I told her, "Sure,,, bring it over".

    It was all I could do to keep a straight face as she looked at me like I was crazy.

    .


    I got to say I will be stealing that one from you lol






    Quote Originally Posted by Anti-GMAW View Post
    Thats halarious! What are some of you guys charging for hourly rates for feild work?


    I get two hour minimum with in the local area I get $80.00.

    When I bid work I cost out welders (people) at $110.00 per hour thats one man welding machine and rod. nothing more.


    I do three 20 minute jobs a week and bill 2 hours each at first I thought I was scalping people till logic took over.

    20 minute job even if it is next door will take 2 hours by the time I get back to doing whatever it was.

    I have had people call me to a job then want to haggle the price when they knew my rates before I left the shop, one guy even said well you are here you might as well take what I offer, rather than go home empty handed. Can you believe the arrogance. I can't say what I did as the statchute(sp) of limitation has not expired. He won't be calling ma again.
    TJ______________________________________

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    near rochester NY
    Posts
    9,881

    Default

    i just cant see that conversation going well.
    yep i'm here already so you are already getting the bill you want me to work or you just want to chat at $110 per Hr. thats about the nicest way i could think of handeling it, but some thing tells me it didnt go so nicely.
    some people just dont get it..... ...and probly never will.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    i just cant see that conversation going well.
    yep i'm here already so you are already getting the bill you want me to work or you just want to chat at $110 per Hr. thats about the nicest way i could think of handeling it, but some thing tells me it didnt go so nicely.
    some people just dont get it..... ...and probly never will.
    ive noticed that a lot not just in people talkin about jobs but in everything in life people just dont want to realize what others are realy doin or what goes into it.
    welding...its awsome

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-Fab.com View Post
    I


    I do three 20 minute jobs a week and bill 2 hours each at first I thought I was scalping people till logic took over.

    20 minute job even if it is next door will take 2 hours by the time I get back to doing whatever it was.

    I have had people call me to a job then want to haggle the price when they knew my rates before I left the shop, one guy even said well you are here you might as well take what I offer, rather than go home empty handed. Can you believe the arrogance. I can't say what I did as the statchute(sp) of limitation has not expired. He won't be calling ma again.
    I've learned to plan for way more than expected. Like you said, a 20 minute job next door will take 2 hours before you're back on track to what you were doing. No matter how you plan it, it always takes longer. Then sometimes the customer wants to "chit-chat" about nothing or ask your "professional opinon" about something else (even though it doesn't lead to more work for you)...

    Fat-Fab, I can't believe what that guy told you: "You might as well take what I offer"! That, to me, shows a TOTAL LACK of respect for you which is unacceptable in my book. But i'm sure you let him know that....

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ocean City, Maryland
    Posts
    951

    Smile

    Have you ever noticed that the people that give you all the grief, never call you back anyway. My dad told me along time ago in his equipment repair shop "If only one of us is going to be happy, it's gonna be me". Some people will never be happy, and never, I repeat never, give them a discount or a break in the price as they will not come back anyway. We've done this and learned the hard way. You might think they'll come back but they won't, I've seen it over and over. So we just dont do it anymore, the cost is what it is.
    Something else I've learned is people usually dont complain over the material in a bill but will gripe over the labor. So since I do welding and mechanic work I make money on the material and show a little less on labor. It all seems to work.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    near rochester NY
    Posts
    9,881

    Default

    people usually dont complain over the material in a bill but will gripe over the labor.
    that just shows a lack of respect for your work, not that they could do it.
    but it dose seem foolish to have to play tricks and games with (suposed)adults to keep them happy.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HMW View Post
    Some people will never be happy, and never, I repeat never, give them a discount or a break in the price as they will not come back anyway. We've done this and learned the hard way.
    I couldn't agree with this more. In the short time i've been doing this, I learned to stick with my hourly rate. If someone doesn't want to pay $70/ hr then they don't have to hire me; simple as that.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Sort of makes you want to get the deposit paypal'd to you before you leave the shop. With too many people the value of the job decreases once the job is done.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 74

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.