Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dabar39 View Post
    I thought I would bring this one back to the top. There are more ignorant people out there than we need.

I got a call this morning and the guy says the tongue broke on his trailer, he has the new piece, all I gotta do is weld it on for him. Shouldn't take you more than ten minutes he says, I ask him where it is and he tells me the trailer is in Hollywood Fl. about 2 to 2 1/2 hours drive each way. He lives up here near me and I asked him why he doesn't have someone down there do the work, he says they want 400.00 to do the job and thats too expensive. I asked him what he thought it would cost him for me to go and do the job, he says I don't know but 400.00 is out of line. I tell him what I would have to charge him for the 6 - 8 hrs. plus mileage and expenses, not to mention it is a holiday and he would be screwing up my plans for the day.

He then has the nerve to ask what it would cost if I rode down there with them using their vehicle, we could load all my equipment in his van cause he's got to go and get the trailer anyways. Did I mention I have never met this guy and wouldn't know him if he walked past me.

These are the pictures he e-mailed me for the 10 minute project. Dave
    To fix that properly $400 is cheap!!!

I thought I would bring this one back to the top. There are more ignorant people out there than we need.

I got a call this morning and the guy says the tongue broke on his trailer, he has the new piece, all I gotta do is weld it on for him. Shouldn't take you more than ten minutes he says, I ask him where it is and he tells me the trailer is in Hollywood Fl. about 2 to 2 1/2 hours drive each way. He lives up here near me and I asked him why he doesn't have someone down there do the work, he says they want 400.00 to do the job and thats too expensive. I asked him what he thought it would cost him for me to go and do the job, he says I don't know but 400.00 is out of line. I tell him what I would have to charge him for the 6 - 8 hrs. plus mileage and expenses, not to mention it is a holiday and he would be screwing up my plans for the day.

He then has the nerve to ask what it would cost if I rode down there with them using their vehicle, we could load all my equipment in his van cause he's got to go and get the trailer anyways. Did I mention I have never met this guy and wouldn't know him if he walked past me.

thats just stupid ten minutes...whatever . should have told him since it was only gonna be ten minutes why he didnt do it him self . talk about an idiot . it would take close to ten minutes to get his old hitch off i dont know about anybody else but at least that time for me to do it. before i started welding and we started doin stuff and work8in with other peoples welders before i got mine at least we had respect for people who were doin it even though we thought the price was ridiculous.
    welding...its awsome

great dude, road trip, who is springing for the beer for the drive.
    thats just nuts, just tell him to get one of those bolt on spair tire holders. then bolt in on upside down and put on the spare tire with only one lug nut so it can spin. that should hold the tung up so he can pull it home and you can come over and weld it up for him tomarow.

thats great, we can load up your stuff in my truck and you can ride with me.LOL i love it they just keep getting stupider every day.
    to do that in 10minuits you would have to be about the fastest welder on earth (flash from the cartoos maybee) or just one of the shoddyest. wile i dont dought your skill (ive seen your work) i just dont see 10 minuits getting it done. if he dose get it done in 10minuits, im shore you will hear from him again when he is about 1/2 way back and the trailor is in pices.
    best thing for him to do would be rent a trailor to bring it back if he needs it back right away, or just pay the guy that was willing to do it on his holliday for $400. but i suspect the $400 was yesterday, not on holiday rates.
    some people just dont get it, probly best to just stay clear of this fool.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

This thread is just a hoot.

Had a incident at work yesterday that reminded me of it,
    and I think I may have set a guy up when he takes his truck in to get repaired.

We have a covered 'pit' for 18 wheelers to back down into so we can run forklifts in & out at parking lot level.
    This guy backs in, we unload probably 50,000 pounds of safes,,,,,
    and he's ready to go.......

I figured he didn't let the pressure off his 'air ride' suspension,
    so when the truck came up out of the pit, it was settting higher up than when he got there.
    He snagged a cargo door on the trailer on our roof/covering,
    and it just ripped the door clear off the back end of his trailer.

All 5 or 6 hinges were bent, stretched, and torn apart.
    We loaded his door up into his trailer, and pointed him in the direction of the industrial district where they work on those heavy trucks.

As he was about to leave, I told the driver,
    "That doesn't look too serious. Them guys down there at the Peterbuilt or Freightliner dealership can probably fix that in about 10 minutes".

Last edited by Winger Ed.; 07-04-2007 at 02:30 PM.
    "Gone are the days of wooden ships, and Iron men.
    I doubt we'll see either of their likes again".

Circa 1920.
    Author:
    Unknown US Coast Guard unit Commander.

As he was about to leave, I told the driver,
    "That doesn't look too serious. Them guys down there at the Peterbuilt or Freightliner dealership can probably fix that in about 10 minutes".

LOL , you are a sick man.
    sounds like the pit could use being a bit deeper. or the doors taller.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Now that's funny.

Somebody already said something like this before but tell the guy he can bring his trailer and you'll rent him your machine for ten minutes. Ten minutes only. If he does it, you'll give him 100 bucks for showing how it's done. If he can't, he gives you 100 bucks for the use of the machine.

I'd like to see that happen in ten minutes. If it could be done, be worth a hundred bucks to see how.

MAC702, sure I could do it in under 5 but that would be bragging

KEENAVV, labor rate in my area averages about 32 to 50.00 dollars per hour so 400.00 would have been a fair price

fun4now, road trip would be nice but my guests today would have been upset if I took the fireworks with me. And I'm not worried about the beer we got a keg here for the day

Winger Ed., That's a classic. I wish I could see the look on the guys face at the freightliner dealership when the guy says it'll only take 10 minutes to put the door back on. Heck it might even end up right here on this thread, now that would be funny

phila.renewal, I wish I would have thought of making that bet with him

Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

makeing the bet you better stipulate its done right. but even done wrong i dought he could pull it off in 10 minuits, probly take him that long to figure out how to turn the welder on.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

This thread just keeps getting better and better! I can't even imagine the logic used by someone to determine how long it takes Us to do Our job! What goes through their minds? How do they come to their conclusions??

Dabar, the guy wanting you to ride with him is classic! He messed up his trailer and now he's in a rush to fix it but he doesn't want to pay fair $$ for his mistakes so he tries to give you a ride to save $$?!? Like you don't have a life

Wow, I hope this thread never dies; it's a great way to blow off a little steam and get some laughs

Well, this most recent one from a friend of mine was pretty accurate. He said a half-hour and it took a half-hour, including grinding... :-)

Paid me an hour, too... :-)