Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

yep, its OH MAN I GOTTA HAVE YA HERE NOW TOI FIX IT !! then when its done its, well that wasent much, i probly could have done that myself. or i thought it would have been harder to do than that. that dosent seem like it should be $150, i mean realy i could have done it. yet they didnt did they. 2 Hrs ago it was life or death you get there and fix it but now.
    just a lack of respect.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default Not just me.

Thanks to everyone for posting. Some days a guy can start to feel like a jerk by the time people like that are done with you but then you realize that they would be the first in line to screw you if given half a chance. I have always given away too much of my time and normally I don't mind helping anyone but like someone already said, I don't expect anyone to work for me for free and it makes you wonder how some of those a$$holes can look you in the eye. HMW is right about the things people gripe about on a bill and getting some of it back on the material is effective. Anyhow, thanks for the venting

when it comes right down to it, you left your family that morning so you could feed and care for them. thats the bottom line. if ya had a day to waist you would most likely opt to spend it at home or atleast with the family. nothing wrong with helping out a frend in need if you have the time and rescorces, but a customer is just that, and he needs to respect you and your rate. if he cant you are better off without him in 99 out of 100 cases.
    do your job, take care of the family, take pride in doing them both to your best abilitys, and let the jerks worry about finding a free ride some where else.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Talking

My dad owns a concrete company and gets the same crap from ppl.
    He charges a third upfront, a third after setup just before he pours, and a third after completion of the job. Ppl. don't think it's that hard after watching him but I'd like to see them pour a stamped and colored $200k patio (he does multi million dollar mansions alot). And every time neihbors and other ppl. will come up and ask him about how to do it. He always ask them "Why, so you can do it yourself? That would just take the buisness away from me. You want me to tell ya' then you can pay me what I'd charge you to do it." The thing that taught me the value of a dollar the most was every time groing up when I'd see him in so much pain from work that he couldn't even stand up with out help. His back and shoulders are eroding more and more every day. If thats not worth $45.00/hr. profit after 30 years of experience than I don't know what is. Makes me pi$$ed when ppl. don't care if they screw over the working man after seing what they realy go through just to get paid less then some desk jockey who dosn't know the diference between a hammer and a screwdriver.

Dam Misers!

i did some cement work , and its no picknic. it shore dose look easy, and is in therie. but spend a few Hr's tamping down the stones or wheelbaeling cement around all the time trying to stay ahead of the drying process. no thanks, you can keep it.
    he should have told the desk jocky how to do it, that way he could come back next week and do the demmo and the job after he screwed it up . its no fun when you got a line of trucks sitting out there drying on ya. heck even the small porch jobs you are chagred extra after the first 30minuits the truck is sitting there not a job for the average joe to pull off and have it look like its suposed to. heck even the floaters will kill your sholders, there just is nothing easy about it.
    hte problem is the guys that do do it make it look easy, but they use musels every day most people dont even know thay have, but find out fast if they try. all skilled manual labor looks easy if you do it right. i did carpentry for 20 years. building some verry impresive houses. its not as simple as just driving a nail here and there. well if you want to make any $$ at it and do it right any way.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

Smile

I place some blame for this on our school systems. They tend to look down on vocational schools and encourage, not the brightest kids to attend. Not to say there are not very bright kids at vo-tech, there are. They actually told my son that colleges do not look favorablly on students that went to vo-tech. I say bull, if you have the grades, and the money, you can go anywhere you want. The teachers thoughts towards a vocation is reflected in the students attitudes towards the trades. Then when they grow up, graduate from college with a degree in Marine biology and get a job selling carpet they think they are way smarter then all the tradesmen. So....Your time is worth little to them.
    I also love surveys that list occupations as "professionals" or "other" I always check professional! How is a doctor any more professional than me. My brother in law is a doctor, smart guy. Except, he calls me for everything except medical advice. And funny thing is, when he's explaining something about the human body or medicene i have no troulble understanding it once he explains it. But I have to explain things to death to make him understand something as simple as when you run your diesel out of fuel it gets air in the fuel system

I feel better now......
    Last edited by HMW; 06-21-2007 at 06:48 AM. Reason: spelling.....see i should have went to collage
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

LOL. yep. my step-mom is a sphycologest and cant pump her own gass much less check the oil. they are so smart thay cant think any more .LOL
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

Default couldn't have said it better

HMW, I have noticed that the schools are trying to push students into "white collar careers". I have also noticed that the every day commoner, that meaning the skilled tradesmen (and women) are being looked down upon as we are not good enough to socialize with in their (white collar) society. I have talked about this with several friends and they all agree, the kids today have absolutely no respect for the working trades people. I am not talking so much the financial status of the individual, but more as to what you do for a living, If you get your hands dirty for a living you get the Jerry Springer trailer trash attitude put towards you.
    Those same people, the ones that won't give you the time of day, will however call you only when they need something and try to act like long lost buddies. I am also not saying this is everywhere, but is a normal occurance in my area. This is just my observations and opinion, take it anyway you want to. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Thumbs up

You said it, Dabar. My wife owns a property maintenance business in the resort where we live. They maintain the outside of the condos, landscaping, pools etc. They have a new story every day how bad people treat them. These people treat them like their trash and blame them for everything. I mean literally a story every day. Its almost getting funny. These people are so smart yet can't even add chemicals to their pools. Even though she had to go to school and get licensed for it here, that doesnt matter. Your still nobody. Even though she probably makes more money than most of the people that are rude to them. Pool maintenance ain't cheap.
    I tell her just laugh to the bank, its just hard to do sometimes
    looks like we're not alone, its everywhere. i just don't know how to make people better educated in the trades
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

well its there $$ we are taking to the bank because they cant do it, but they just dont seem to see it that way.
    like ya said just do your best to laugh it off thinking about all those years of clllage and they still cant check the oil or add washer floid in the car .
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES