Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Update

Here are a couple pics of the installed thumb:
    Thanks for your comments and advice, as always.
    Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nkdmrt, nice job! I have the same machine, L35, and am looking to weld on a thumb. I don't have the issues you did with the bulge so it should be much easier. I have a few questions if you don't mind me asking;

Did you ever find out what type of steel the L35 dipper stick is made out of?

The hydraulic thumb I bought has a full length 1/2" thick nearly 3" wide mounting plate with 1/4" chamfers along the back edges to clear the welds inside the dipperstick. I did not fit it up in there yet but it should fit nice and I should be able to weld to the protruding 1/4" side plates.

Question is, is it possible to weld this up using a Millermatic 211 (running on 220v)?

I know the mounting plate is 1/2" which is beyond this welding machine but figure with the big 1/4" chamfers along the back edge, and I can add a chamfer along the front edge, and since it is tucked in there nice along the 1/4" side plates that I should be all right. There is also so much weld length that I am thinking that even I don't get full penetration it should still hold the load.

Any advise is greatly appreciated. Settings, rod, multiple passes, etc? I have standard 75/25 gas, .035 wire, as well as some .045 flux core if there is any benefit to using that.

thanks,
    Steve.

We always weld the plate that mounts on the dipper all the way around, otherwise it gets moisture inside and starts rusting, So yes you don't want to weld across the boom that's why they are diamond at the ends so your welding diagonally.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Telstar2112 View Post

Question is, is it possible to weld this up using a Millermatic 211 (running on 220v)?

I know the mounting plate is 1/2" which is beyond this welding machine

Any advise is greatly appreciated. Settings, rod, multiple passes, etc? I have standard 75/25 gas, .035 wire, as well as some .045 flux core if there is any benefit to using that.

thanks,
    Steve.
    I don't know how your duty cycle on your MM211 will hold up but i have done jobs like that with my MM185 and .035 gas flux core wire. I welded some thick plate on my neighbors loader with no problems...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default Water....

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    We always weld the plate that mounts on the dipper all the way around, otherwise it gets moisture inside and starts rusting, So yes you don't want to weld across the boom that's why they are diamond at the ends so your welding diagonally.
    Water is getting inside the dipper, that's why it is bowed out. Also a sludge hammer would have straighten that right up. The baseplate is not very thick, I would be sure the dipper does not freeze again or it will bend it on the top, which is not good.
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck

Tryagn5, I agree with you about water getting inside, I was speaking about water getting between the 2 plates that will rust and the rust will eventually will break the welds, Its typically a reverse diamond shape at the ends.