Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kubota backhoe dipperstick repair

I bought a year 2000 L35 used late last fall. I drew up the parts for a mechanical thumb, and they are being cut out on a CNC plasma. Then I will weld up the thumb and install it.
    The problem is that the inside (operator-facing) flat surface on the dipperstick where the thumb base will mount has a bulge in it. The bulge is in the area between the the pins for the bucket linkage. Apparently the previous owner really stressed this thing at some point, but it was likely the only time because the whole machine is in great shape.

L35 DipperstickBulge 012sm.jpg

I talked to the dealer and what they would do is cut out the bulged area and replace with a new piece of plate. Which is what I thought they would say. They have never done this repair before. They did not know if the steel was an alloy steel or just mild steel.

I definately will not spend the $1,000 bucks for a new dipperstick.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
    Nick

Assuming your thumb base is going to just be a piece of plate welded at right angle to the dipper, what I think I'd do is profile the base of the thumb for the bulge with a plasma cutter or an O/A torch and just weld it up. The worst thing that can happen is the thumb weld will fail, I'm thinkin.

A thumb really doesn't take much pressure in use; it just holds wired shaped stuff in the hoe bucket.

That certainly is an unusual failure. My baby tractor's (B7800) hydraulics would not be able to put that kind of a hurt on the dipper!

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Default Thumb options

Why don't you make the thumb mount as wide as the stick? That way you can weld it to the sides, which is the strongest part.
    Millermatic 210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 625 X-treme
    Hobart Champion 16 W/
    Miller 8VS Suitcase
    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
    Tons of Tools
    Microwave
    Laptop and Printer
    Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!

Hank & Lance;
    Thanks for the replies. From all I've read at thumb mfr's websites, they all seem to concur that the base plate of the thumb should set on the flat inside surface between the welds. Then it is essentially welded to the existing welds/sides of the stick. But only welded the 2 sides parallel to the length of the stick and never across the short width of the stick.

I was shocked that the hoe had that muck force. But the L35's are very strong for their size. So they tell me.

The gouge depth to fit over the bulge would have to be around 3/8" at the max, but it is right where the main pin of the thumb will be.

I think it will work to cut the bulge out w/ a wheel (minimize the heat), weld in the patch. Any suggestions for the patch material?

Thanks,
    Nick

I would cut it out and replace it with mild steel.
    Jeff

Thanks Jeff & Ironhead.
    That's what I was thinking and hoping to hear. I will likely Tig it and grind the welds flush. Then proceed to attach the thumb base plate.

Will keep you all posted as this progresses.

I apologize for the spelling in my posts. Not much for typing.

Nick

I'd check for cracks as it could have been water got into it and froze.... I have seen ice do lots of damage to steel even down here were 30deg. is cold
    George W. Bush was saving your butt whether you liked it or not!
    Fear is temporary, regret is forever
    HH210 with SG

I have inspected many of these. Typically it is CJP welded ( open root or ceramic backing ), back gouge root, welded out, ground flush, and then ultrasonically tested.

Default Update

Well I chose to try to contour the baseplate that mounts to the dipperstick over the bulge. You can see the contour templates I made in Contouring pic 008. Transverse templates every inch for six inches and one longitudinal template along the centerline. Same technique as what one would do for carving an arch for a violin plate or archtop guitar. Once close to the templates I would spray some paint on the bulge, set the plate on it and whittle the high spots down until the contact all over.
    Once the baseplate is welded solid to the diperstick, them I'll finish welding the baseplate assembly itself. Now it is just tacked to minimize distortion...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good, almost to good to use!!!
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP