Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

you know to me there is a obvious solution buy some sections of steel of the planned material 2"x2"x1/8"....... and try some joints with your machine i used to have a Harbour Freight type machine and i built lots of stuff with it without a problem, until i burned the POS out on a go-kart chassis and bought a used MM210 (great machine)

this 1/4" number is somewhat arbitrary as i doubt your gonna use anything that thick on a 4"x8" trailer and if your planning too i would reconsider if it was for anything other than maybe a tounge.

Its not so much the machine its your skill in the hands of an amatuer i wouldn't trust their welds even if i set my machine up for them
    Garage Guy Chris
    equipment:
    -Miller matic 210 w/ spoolgun
    -Syncrowave 180SD

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    toolgypsy Welcome to the forum before I forget.

hankj I have to agree with you. I almost added originally that I thought debar could most likely weld almost any trailer with a 110v mig, but left it out because it might give some the idea that they could also.

I've seen weld coupons signifigantly thicker than 1/4" done by very skilled welders that passed bend tests and etchings. V groved, preheat, multi pass, but the average owner of a 110v mig can't even hope to perform at those levels. As with all rules there are exceptions, I'm glad you are one.

And definitely yes, common sense isn't so common any more.
    I'm not a big fan of any one attempting to build anything structural with a 110 machine. I think there is a place for the 110 welders and it is definitely not for making trailer frames. I own a 110 machine myself(Lincoln weld pak 3200 HD) and use it only for doing light gauge sheet metal work, ornamental work and other non structural type of items. Can it be done? maybe, given the users ability and experience, but would never recommend building a trailer to anyone as a first project any ways, regardless of the machine being used.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tay530 View Post
    DSW I could not agree more! I've seen some of Dabars work and he could take a half a truck, weld casters to the back and sell it to Jay Leno as an All American hot rod!

I think Dabar needs to coment on this!
    Thanks for the compliments, Now I have an idea as to what I can do with an Isuzu Rodeo with rust holes in the roof panel that was just given to me yesterday.
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

you know to me there is a obvious solution buy some sections of steel of the planned material 2"x2"x1/8"....... and try some joints with your machine
    Wisdom. Just because a machine is "capable" of something doesn't mean that you or I will get those results, especially when those capabilities are at the machine's limits of performance.

In my industy (aerospace) EVERY weld we do is performed per a weld schedule that has been developed using samples and proven for each specific joint, material(s), thickness, machine, filler, etc. If you think about it, it is the best way of minimizing risk. Even once the schedule for a weld has been developed, the completed production welds are typically dye penetrant and x-ray inspected, and must be approved by a weld inspector or rejected for any indication that might be a flaw.

I realize thats one extreme of caution; but the industry has to take that approach. So when one of us as individuals put something structural on the roads, even though we're not likely to implement that level of quality control, we should have at least a strong level of confidence that the welds we make are up to their task and will not result in harm to others. Probably the best way to get that level of confidence is to make some representative joints and then see if they are any good.
    Bob

That that is is that that is not is not.

The problem I've run into when using a hobby level machine to build a trailer was duty cycle. On its highest setting, I could only get a good strong weld for about 30 sec, then it would taper off for the next 60 seconds. Even when bouncing around the trailer to prevent warpage and only doing a few inches at a time, I was still limited by the machine. Is was a 220v lincoln mig.
    Justin Starkey
    Syncrowave 250 TIGRunner
    Miller 210 MIG
    Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Ford and GM Dyno-tuning on the Moblie Dynojet trailer I built.
    VMP Tuning.com

ok ill apologize right now.

first off if ur a hobby welder and have no idea how to build a trailer DONT. we go to school and get years of training to be welders and learn how to build them correctly. if you still are going to build one find a local welder that has built them before and can give you some pointers first hand..if you dont know what weight youll be hauling or what to make it out of plain and simple dont do it. thats why im glad most registries need a serial number or dot stamp of approval to register a trailer. ive seen so many fly apart going down the high way and some have killed. do you what that over head???

these 110 "migs" are for hobby welders but they do have a purpose, and can weld 1/4 or thicker but the proper weld joint prep is very very important. most people look at the side and read that its only good for lets say 3/16. well thats one PASS not multiple passes, technique also has a huge role in what they can do.

im not saying you cant build it and make a safe trailer, but if u have to ask the question "what material should i use" or "is this welder powerful enough to weld this" you probably should not build it to go down public roads or for resale. u just dont have the experience or training u need to complete the task.
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches
    way to many other tools to list

You are in wrong forum..This is for Miller Welding Groupies Only...Go to Lincoln Welding Forum...There are nice Lincoln Forum>>>I had been there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    I think ya read the Manual wrong

Here is the Door Chart for that machine

MillerMatic 211

This forum is for weldors.................not their equipment .....be nice
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Put Crack Pipe Down Before You Hurt Self
    Good call
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

I had use to have Lincoln 135 for years..I sold it. I am interesting in Miller Welding to 252 because I have been welded nvolve for one company on big tractors and 4x4 Trucks and build WVO Diesel truck...I ll buy one 252 Milller Weld in future and then my own one.Make me more..
    Quote Originally Posted by Ls2cam View Post
    You are in wrong forum..This is for Miller Welding Groupies Only...Go to Lincoln Welding Forum...There are nice Lincoln Forum>>>I had been there.
    Last edited by Ls2cam; 06-25-2008 at 02:43 PM.
    MillerMatic 211

Default 110V Welder

I owner a Hobart 135 Handler for a long time and put about 100 pounds of wire through it. It was a great machine, but I wouldn't put anything on the road with it. You are responsible for it!!! When you buy a 220V welder, then we can talk.
    Millermatic 210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 625 X-treme
    Hobart Champion 16 W/
    Miller 8VS Suitcase
    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
    Tons of Tools
    Microwave
    Laptop and Printer
    Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!