Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default 110 Welders

I used a Hobart 135 Handler for a long time, like 100lbs. of solid wire. If you go slow enough, you should be able to get full penetration. Use some 1/4" plate and do fillet welds to check your welding. They call them coupons and cut them to see if you have any voids at the base of the weld. Always get rid of mil slag and pre-heat, when possible at low amerage.
    Millermatic 210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 625 X-treme
    Hobart Champion 16 W/
    Miller 8VS Suitcase
    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
    Tons of Tools
    Microwave
    Laptop and Printer
    Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!

This will scare some of you guys.

From the book Performance Welding Handbook by Richard Finch:

Introduction:

"Here is a good example of regular welding: You might be able to build an attractive utility trailer to tow snowmobiles, but the welds on your trailer are about 50 percent cold and 50 percent penetrated. No problem. The trailer will stay together."

(I picked it up at the library and don't recommend it, BTW)

-James

This thread appears to have gone awry, as some do.

There are some "myths" in the thread, and some just bad information.

The notion that a 120V GMAW machine cannot weld effectively on thicker materials is based on the fact that most owners of "little" MIGs are first-timers, with no training, and even more lack of common sense. I know because, except for the presence of common sense developed over 66 years of mistakes (or is that experience? I used to be one!

Little MIGs can be effective if the weldor knows what he/she is doing. Members of this forum coached me to be able to make a solid weld on .250" x .1875" angle by using a double V-grove weld, welded both sides. I did it, and verified its success by sectioning and etching it.

You guys who think you can build structural components with mini-MIGs need to do just that - section and etch. Keep the barf bucket handy....

Still, a noob with a 200-amp class machine is more likely to avoid a trailer disintegration than a noob with an HH140.

This post ain't pointed at anyone specifically. It's just a statement of fact.

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Default building a trailer

Quote Originally Posted by joshua27818 View Post
    well i guess that answers my questuion because i read the manual on it trying to figure out what the maximum it will weld and it said that it could do 1/4 with co2/argon or just stright co2 but i still thought that I should ask someone also I guess lincoln will need to umm how should i put it tell it like it is and stop saying there machine will do something and it won't. I guess I will have to wait and get me that arc-welder (calls to the wife i "need to go to the tool store" and quickly hears "no your not") to do the job my dad has one but the power switch is messed up at this time
    Lincoln says in their manual that the weld pac 100 will weld up to 1/4 inch with 035 fluxcore wire.gas goes way down in the welding thickness.better recheck your manual

toolgypsy Welcome to the forum before I forget.

hankj I have to agree with you. I almost added originally that I thought debar could most likely weld almost any trailer with a 110v mig, but left it out because it might give some the idea that they could also.

I've seen weld coupons signifigantly thicker than 1/4" done by very skilled welders that passed bend tests and etchings. V groved, preheat, multi pass, but the average owner of a 110v mig can't even hope to perform at those levels. As with all rules there are exceptions, I'm glad you are one.

And definately yes, common sense isn't so common any more.

I fixed a collapsed tongue on a utility trailer a short time ago. The builder used a 120V mig and did a nice job, the welding was pretty good and the problem wasn't a failed weld, it was the builder missed one important piece, collapsed where the front of the trailer hit the ground and was being drug by the tongue.

DSW I could not agree more! I've seen some of Dabars work and he could take a half a truck, weld casters to the back and sell it to Jay Leno as an All American hot rod!

I think Dabar needs to coment on this!

its scary to think lincoln would say the weld pack 100 will weld 1/4" material. i have a MM135 and with proper prep could probably get away with a small 1/4" bracket for my lawn mower or something non-critical. but with larger pieces the over-all mas increases and eats up the heat no mater what the prep. i waited till i got a larger welder (my TA-185) to deal with thicker stuff like 1/4". for the most part my lil MM135 gets used on 1/8 and under where it belongs. i think its irresponsible of lincoln to tell any fool walking threw home depot he can grab up an 80 or 100 amp MIG and go home to weld up 1/4" steel. are they expecting common sense to control the use of this info ?? or just looking to increase sales by making the lil thing look more powerful ?
    as we all know common sense has become the exception rather than the rule in most people.

i suppose it would be possible to build a trailer with one, provided it was designed and built with materials within the welders true usage . a small utility trailer could be built out of 1/8" square tube or C chanel and hold a fair load if designed right. a big concern would be the spring attachment points .i'm planing to use my 185 to stick weld my suspension parts. but i did not build the trailer just changing out the axel and suspension.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

There is just one little thing I didn't walk into home depot and just buy this and decide "oh my i can weld 1/4 materal, i'll make a trailer!!!!" I did my homework then started asking. I have been around welding since I was born the only things I havn't had my hands on yet is a TIG machine or welded underwater other wise I would have done it. Also I do know about the risks of not getting enough penetration and the proper heat because this is such a small machine.

I just kinda went on a rant when I saw

"i think its irresponsible of lincoln to tell any fool walking threw home depot he can grab up an 80 or 100 amp MIG and go home to weld up 1/4" steel."

Sorry if I offended anyone in this reply

Also I do understand that there are things to take into consideration thats why I am ASKING before I build the trailer and trying to use a little common sence instead of building it then having it mess up on the road and then coming on here and asking how to fix it.

joshua27818
    that statement was not directed at you. it was directed at the packaging on the welder. sorry if you felt it was directed at you. far too many buy the Little welders and go out and jump into projects well over the welders ability.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES