Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Need info on ornamental fencing

Hey,

I've done plenty of general fab work and also railings, but I need info on installing ornamental fencing.

I know where to get the finials and decorative elements, and all that, but I need information on installation.

When attaching to concrete, do you use a core drill, insert the 'leg' and then use what? to surround the leg?

When installing in a lawn, do you pour concrete around a metal leg, or sink bolts into the concrete, or is it another method?

Concrete at every post, or every so-many feet?

How much concrete and how deep? I guess it depends on the climate/soil and fence size, but let's say a 4' decoratative fence in a mild climate.

Any other general installation inormation or links would be helpful.

I'm always looking for work/new jobs and I think a few jobs like this would be nice.

Thanks,

James

Cool

My neighbor just had about a hundred feet of aluminum picket fence installed and they just dug some holes and inserted the legs and cemented around them. I think i would have used a cardboard tube full of cement and bolted the fence to the cement but thats just my way.
    We had some railing at work that was only 8 years old and the posts rotted off and they were drilled and filled into the steps. Now its time to fix the rot and the post had to be cut flush, repaired and plates welded to the bottoms to bolt onto the step. It kind of looks like a botch job now. I have seen so many different ways to do it i guess everyone has their own idea...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Yes, the rot at the point where the metal meets the concrete is one of the things that had me worried, but that's apparently how it's done. I see that alot, though.

I have since found some information on installation and general fence construction. They want a hole at least 2.5x the diameter of the post, and about 2' deep.

Thanks,

James

Cool

One other thing. I work in a refinery and we have a zillion pipe posts with plates welded on the bottom. Most of them have rot or bad rust coming out from the inside. I have watched it for years and wondered why. It has to be moisture building up and running down forming a puddle over the years thus leading to rust. I would have never thought that happening but it has to be it.
    Now the new construction posts over the last 4 or so years have had 1/4" holes drilled in them at the top of the post prob to let the heat out from the sun cooking them everyday and some have holes top and bottom on larger posts...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I have seen small weep holes at the bottom of metal posts alot, even smaller diameter ones.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Default installing handrailing and ornmental railing

1. core drill a 3" dia. hole 4" deep min. for hand or guard rails in concrete use a shopvac to clean holes after all holes are drilled and concrete is hosed clean. 2. use a grout called Roctite to fill holes up to concrete level ,work fast and have all rails braced plumb and level because this stuff sets in 15 min. 3.in dirt or asphalt augar a 6-12" dia. hole 3' deep min. and use fast drying cement. you can buy cement and grout at lowes it comes in bags roktite comes in 5 gal. buckets and get from Fastenal. PS. Go Steelers

i've installed railings in concrete also and the best way i come across is core drilling your hole as close to the post as possible. if your installing a 3" post you should drill a 3.5 to 4 inch hole. i,ve had situations where i can only drill 3 inches deep which is fine, probably not recommended. you want to use hydrolic cement called quickrok i think which is sold at the local fence company for about 35 bucks a bucket. mix it to a consistency of a little bit thicker than clam chowder then pour it in your hole fast. if you are putting your posts in grass i usually dig 2 foot holes by 10 inches wide. i fill the hole almost all the way with water then dump in a bag of quick dry concrete, usually 6-7 bucks at hd.