Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Helmet-digital or regular Elite?

Is the digital Elite worth the extra $$ over the regular Miller Elite welding helmet??
    Thanks,
    Grumple
    Oxy/Ac Large Tanks
    Miller Swinger AC 180 (SOLD)
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX Runner with Pulser

Would love to here everyone's response to this. Some people prefer the auto on of the old Elite. The digital Elite has a UV sensor and will turn to dark even if weld spark is not visible. That is what I hear.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
    WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
    Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
    20Ton press
    And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
    www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Well, I just bought the regular Elite after hearing that and also cause it seems prices are going up. Its about 1000 times better than my old helmet.
    Thanks,
    Grumple
    Oxy/Ac Large Tanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grumple View Post
    Well, I just bought the regular Elite after hearing that and also cause it seems prices are going up. Its about 1000 times better than my old helmet.
    Thanks,
    Grumple
    Yes, and the new digital is better again.
    The one thing I'm not so fond of with the digital is having to remember to turn it back on if you haven't been welding for 15 minutes or so.
    I've found the X mode on the digital to be excellent for restricted view or for outside welding where the sunlight will trigger the lens unless you have your sensitivity turned down very low.
    Regards Andrew from Oz.
    We are tig welders, gravity doesn't worry us.

Miller Dynasty 350 Tig.
    OTC AVP300 AC/DC 300 amp hybrid wave Tig. (now retired)
    Kemppi MLS 2300 230amp AC/DC Tig for home with all the bells and whistles.

Thats fine but I plan on doing all my welding indoors so I won't have to worry about that for now anyhow. Also, the extra money went towards a pulser so I will have that too. Its all good.
    Grumple
    Oxy/Ac Large Tanks

I have a plain jane black elite that is 4 or 5 months old and I have just gotten used to reaching inside and pushing the reset button before striking an ark because it doesn't "auto on" with out doing so.
    That is my work hood.
    My 2 auto shade hoods here at the house( harbor frieght -just totally quit.... older jackson ajustable shade- auto shade insert.... always freaks out.) have given in and I was thinking about another elite for here so I am interested in input on this too.
    Randall

I have the miller performance series right not but thinking of going with an Optrel Satellite or a digital elite. Any real reasoning to pick one over the other?

i love my digital elite, it has a shade for every occasion. The mag trigger is great too. I can tig weld at low or high amps, plasma cut, torchweld and grind all with one hood. Optics and fit are great too.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

I love my Digital Elite, It's great. You only need one helmet for everything I used to have 3. And it is Super light and durable!!!
    Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
    2000 Camaro SS (Race car)

There is only $40 difference between the Elite and Digital Elite (black models on ebay). I would rather buy the Digital since it will detect magnetic fields to darken.
    Millermatic Passport Plus
    Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
    XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12VS
    Dynasty 300 DX
    Thermal Arc 400 MST
    Victor O/A
    Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.