Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Antique floor jack

I was at Napa the other day and almost bought a new floor jack. $99 for a 2 1/4 ton thats not guaranteed to stay up, $190 for a top line 2 ton and about $350 for the 3 ton. I was debating over the 2 ton and 2 1/4 ton and leaning toward the $99 2 1/4 ton when I reconsidered and decided to just keep using my old jack.
    I thought you guys might get a kick out of it. The patent date on it is Dec 5 1922. Its all mechanical.

The first pic is the whole jack.
    The next pic is the foot peddle that shoots the centerpost up to take up the slack space as seen in the third pic. Kick the foot peddle the other way and the centerpost falls.
    The last pic is in the razed position.

Nice thing about this jack is it can never bleed off, and its been working great for 80 years. Its also rated higher than the hydraulic jacks I was interested in, 5000 lb (2 1/2 ton)
    Its only drawbacks are limited lift hight, sometimes its hard to lift the handle high enough to catch the next cog when its under the truck, and its big and awkward.
    Hope you enjoy the pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by burninbriar; 06-07-2008 at 04:26 PM.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Have never saw one like that but looks like it has survived very well. No seals to leak & tried & proven. Pretty hard to beat that,simplicity & dependable too. Has that been in the family since new or did you get it at a sale or somewhere. Now you can take the money you saved there & buy a different tool for the shop. Thanks for sharing.
    252 Miller Mig
    180 Synchrowave
    R - 45 Milling Machine
    Kingston 1100 Lathe
    Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter

I picked it up at an estate auction a long time ago, but I still remember what I paid for it, $2.50.
    I couldn't believe that I was the only bidder. Believe me, its more than paid for itself over the years.
    Its fun when someone sees me pulling it out and asks, "What the hay is that thing". but they are always impressed when they see it work. Its amazingly fast.

Pureox OA
    Miller Syncrowave 250

I love neet old tools like that. Thanks for the picts.

Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing.
    I love old tools and have quite a collection myself.
    I like them because they're built to last, are easy to fix, and look real neat, too.

The jack I use at home was my dad's old Walker. I finally got it! It's not as old as your living fossil, but it's at least 40 years old and has seen a LOT of work in its day.

Great pics. Now I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
    The jack I use at home was my dad's old Walker. I finally got it! It's not as old as your living fossil, but it's at least 40 years old and has seen a LOT of work in its day.
    Mine is also a Walker. Model 720, they call it a Roll-A-Car.

Pureox OA
    Miller Syncrowave 250

cool jack.
    i have one of the newer ones and reach is still a problem when jacking as well as how high it will go. i built a platform to set uit on as it weould just sink in the dirt without the base i made and use a few 2x6 bolcks to help it go high enough to lift my truck. so even after the $125 i spent on it i still have to drag a bundle of home made stuff to use it.
    stick with the old one, gets the job done and will do so for ever.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post

Great pics. Now I want one.
    Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    cool jack.
    i have one of the newer ones and reach is still a problem when jacking as well as how high it will go. i built a platform to set uit on as it weould just sink in the dirt without the base i made and use a few 2x6 bolcks to help it go high enough to lift my truck.
    How about throwing some pics of your jacks on here. I'd like to see them. I really like old tools myself.
    Speaking of old stuff, I'll be making a new thread as soon as I get the dates confirmed for the vintage grand prix coming up in july.

Pureox OA
    Miller Syncrowave 250

Quote Originally Posted by burninbriar View Post
    How about throwing some pics of your jacks on here. I'd like to see them.
    Here are some pics of my Walker. Not very interesting next to yours, but it is a smooth operator. I keep the handle out of it so my boy doesn't knock himself in the noggin'.

The floorjack I use in my studio is the one my father gave to me about 25 years ago for a b-day present. Not sure of the make, but it works great.
    Attached Images Attached Images