Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by ant1277 View Post
    Thanks Craig, I tried a red tungsten sharpend to a point and had good results. I measured up the material it's only .030. I only had 1/16 filler rod at the time, its alittle to big for what I'm trying to do, I'll have to get something smaller. Your catch can came out good. I also looked at the other pictures, did you do all the cage work too?
    Yes, first cage ever. It was quite a project. I'm glad its done. Now if I can just finish up my list of "winter projects" on the car I can get it back to the track.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by PontiacRacer View Post
    Yes, first cage ever. It was quite a project. I'm glad its done. Now if I can just finish up my list of "winter projects" on the car I can get it back to the track.

Craig
    Hey Craig, did you make the cage or was it a kit? If it was a kit who did you get it from? It came out really good. I would like to get back to the track also. I have been sitting out a few years, home renovationstill not done. What class are you running? I bracket race and run Super Street. Island Dragway,Englishtown,Atco and Maple Grove are the tracks in my area.

Hey Craig, did you make the cage or was it a kit? If it was a kit who did you get it from? It came out really good. I would like to get back to the track also. I have been sitting out a few years, home renovationstill not done. What class are you running? I bracket race and run Super Street. Island Dragway,Englishtown,Atco and Maple Grove are the tracks in my area.

If your refering to Island Dragway on Long Island, it is no more!
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Quote Originally Posted by Laiky View Post
    If your refering to Island Dragway on Long Island, it is no more!
    Island Dragway in Great Meadows, New Jersey.

Nope, started with a pile of 20' sticks of tubing, a bender, notcher and the TIG. The cage that was in it before was a kit deal from S&W I think that was installed by the previous owner and was 1/2 the reason I cut it out. It fit terrible and the welds were awful. The car is being set up to run the local heads up True 10.5 or Outlaw 10.5 classes.

Craig

ARE you grinding the tung to a clean point and reverse zapping a ball?

Quote Originally Posted by weldthis View Post
    ARE you grinding the tung to a clean point and reverse zapping a ball?

I've heard of doing that but never tried it. I just grind it to a sharp point then barely touch the tip to the sander to knock the point off very slightly.

Craig

Lightbulb

Just to clarify for others: Ball a green tungsten. Actually, it will ball itself in an inch or so.

All(?) others are ground to a point (and truncated) and will hold that point while welding.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.