Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Info Di-Acro Model #2 Hand Bender

Hello All,

Great forum!

Need some info please. I would like feedback from anyone on Di-Acro model 2 hand bender. It has limited tooling, mostly home made, but does have the Quik-Lok feature.

I have a need to shape 1" 16 gauge sq tubing from time to time, but I see the model 2 only is rated for 3/4". However, it appears to be rated for 3/8" pipe, so I would imagine if one had the right tooling it would handle 1" sq tube.

Along with the deal was a stripped down Hossfeld #1, which I understand will handle 1" sq tube..

So I have some bending options, would to hear from somone who has used the tool.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Cool

Here is their website maybe they can help with some manuals.
    http://www.diacro.com/index.html
    The Diacro company was right up the road from me and i spent a lot of time in the little factory but it went belly up and was sold back to a Minnesota company that has it now. Great benders but pricey and the tooling is really high...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Lightbulb

Hello Geezer,

I have both the DiAcro #2 and a Hossfeld #2.
    I also have a die for bending 1" square tubing. I believe the die is a 5" radius. For the life of me I can't remember if I've used this die on the Hossfeld or the DiAcro, but I'm pretty sure it was with the Hossfeld.

I have the larger Hossfeld, and although I don't have the hydraulic unit, it has a long bending arm and can crank some pretty serious leverage.
    I have a Harbor Freight bender, which is probably similar to the Hossfeld #1, and I have bent just about everything in that little guy. Pinpoint heat was used to pursuade some of the err.. heavier material.

I remember bending the 16 ga. tubing did not take much effort at all, but I'd say doing 1/8" wall would be another story. Now I'll have to try it 'cause I'm curious.

I've bent 1/2" solid round stainless 304 bar stock in the DiAcro and it didn't like it too much, but I made it go anyways. To be honest, the little DiAcro isn't nearly as beefy as the Hossfeld, but it works off a different geometry. It is however, much easier to use accurately and set up for repeatable bends within its range. For the lighter stuff, it is outstanding.

What kinds of bends or forming are you looking to do?

I was always looking for a DiAcro #4, which has a ratcheting system, to do heavier material, but now that I have these two benders, I've given up the chase.

I was also considering making my own benders for some time and at the last minute thought I'd give some proven machines a run, especially since the dies are already available. That being said, it is not that difficult to make a bender for any given application. It's all about the leverage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great feedback, thanks.

I was actually looking for a Hossfeld #2 when I came across these two benders. I have $250.00 in both and see where the Di-Acro MSRP is around $2,300. Seems a bit over priced to me for what they are rated for, albeit they appear a stout machine. Pricy tooling!!!!!

I really do not have that much of a demand for what the Di-Acro will bend, but who knows I may grow into it. It appears to be a well made machine.

I may equip the Hossfeld #1, not sure yet. The 1 inch 16 ga bends is for hoops for enclosed trailers. I see the Hossfeld #1 is rated for that, but again I have nothing but the stripped down basic machine. Is there allot of difference in capability and operater ease between the Hossfeld #1 and #2? Wouldn't be that difficult to build a stand and handle, I'll probably check with the company on tooling.

I have a Harbor Frieght bender still new in the box. It was on clearance or special and I have not got around to setting it up. I will probably be surprised what it can bend.

What is the second pic? That is one large hoop.

thanks again, the feedback helps.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe you'll have much luck finding tooling for the Hossfeld #1. I believe Hossfeld only supports the #2 nowadays.

As far as either of the two companies go, set either one up for hydralic operation and you'll be a lot happier. Even 1" thickwall square tubing is a pain to bend using the armstrong method. Adding hydraulic operation is not all that hard to do...if I can do it, anyone can.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool

Pretty slick set up Roy. I like the foot pedal...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Roy

I hope I can come close to the set up you have built. Yes, the foot control is a nice touch. What are the specs on your ram?

I'll check with Hossfeld Monday. I really wanted a #2, but these popped up
    so here I am.

Thanks for the info, this helps allot.

Bob,
    The foot pedal came about because I was finding it more convenient to try holding the metal with both hands during the initial stages of the bending cycle to keep everything registered. Dug up some plate and worked off a picture over on the Hobart board by Bob Merdian...had to change some things around a bit since I was using a different style of valve than Bob.

Geezer,
    I'll have to go look to be sure, but I believe the ram is a 24" closed, 2 1/2" bore and sorta fuzzy on the ram extension, but it was either 14" or better. Again, I used the pics and a rough drawing I obtained from Bob Merdian to build the Hossfeld style ratcheting arm assembly. Also borrowed the "L" shaped arm from the local Vo-Tech here in town and copied it...you can see it setting in the base. There's was shopbuilt as well, but seems to work even though the pin spacing is a bit off here and there. If you can get the center section casting from Hossfeld, I'd say it would be cheaper to just build your own...if you have access to a good scrap yard. Also, check American Bender for die sets to fit the Hossfeld...I believe they "may" have #1 sets, but their #2 bender dies are cheaper than Hossfeld and work well. Downside is they don't have nearly the selection as Hossfeld.

If all you are needing a bender for is bending square and round tubing, I'd say you would be better served with a JD2 or one of the other tubing benders. They will give you much better repeatability and ease of use over that which you will get from a Hossfled...though it will be at the expense of not being able to do the wealth of other bending chores that Hossfeld's are known for. Make your choice wisely as once you start buying die sets you will be more or less locked into whichever bender you chose due to the expense.

Roy,

First of all I want to thank you for such a great reply. Thanks for taking the time. Great info and advice.

Yes, I have taken a general look at JD2 and also ProTools. They will for sure do the job.

I just run across these two (Di-ACro and Hossfeld #1) and thought for the investment I may be able to grow into them, and if not I could resale them. As aformentioned, I have $250.00 in both of them.

I have been to the Hossfeld www site and it appears they still support the #1; however, all thier tooling diagrams show the #2. So, I'll call and verify.

I believe I will sit tight for a bit and keep investigating. The projects keep growing in my humble semi-retired shop and flexibility to the next level is a consideration. Tooling is so expensive. I look at the sources you mentioned.

I just completed an 14ft enclosed trailer and am just now finishing an 18ft car hauler. Thoughts were to build smaller ATV and garden trailers to help pay for the habit, but I am now thinking about truck cargo tops made from aluminum. A bender is the long pole in the tent.

again and if something else comes to mind I would be grateful

Thanks,
    Geezer (Butch)

Geezer,
    While I dearly appreciate all that my Hossfeld bender can and will do for me, I have to say that for tube bending, whether round or square, it isn't in the same league as either the JD2 or ProTools benders as far as ease of use, repeatability and precision. Try looking long and hard at the type of work you envision doing in the future before you invest in buying die sets or benders from any of these sources.