Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iron fence help

Cool Cleaning

Try using easy off oven cleaner it's cheeper then the paint stripers and works better.but on your project do a small hidden spot first just to test.Clean and paint before you install unless you have other work that needs to be done to it.Like welding , grinding , sanding ect ect.

Default easy-off

Darmik, I'm not so sure I like the idea of using oven cleaner for cleaning purposes, but I've never tried it either. If I'm following this correctly, you use the oven cleaner to remove the oils and graphite from the raw metal? I would think that would create more work as the oven cleaner residue would have to be cleaned up as well. Most oven cleaners will be neutralized with water, now you possibly got surface rust to deal with, and oven cleaner will discolor or blister any painted surfaces in the immediate vacinity of the overspray. Not to mention the mess it leaves on everything (or the fumes for that matter). If you take paint thinner, acetone, keytone, zylene, laquer thinner etc...etc... etc.. pour it on a rag, wipe the material down and you are good to go, primer and paint. Seems to me using oven cleaner would add a few steps to the process, not make it easier. If I'm taking your idea out of context or not understanding it correctly, please let me know. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Cool Hey dabar39

I am building an iron fence for the first time and hope someone can help with a couple of questions I have. The fence is to go around a pool. First question is the iron I bought is covered in a black oily substance and i was wondering what the best way to clean it before painting is and if I should clean it before or after I put it up

I agree with dabar39 disreguard my post hey I'm blonde forgive me it's my parents fault.

It's easy to delete a post if you want to. After you click on EDIT, then you click on Go Advanced at the bottom. Check the box for Delete and then click on Delete.

I gotta agree. Oven Cleaner would be a pain. Paint thinner works outstandingly well.

Default Cleaning metal

I use oil-eater (costco sells it, also checker auto sells 5 gal. size) to clean the metal. cat