Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

are u using ur new little auto set mig for that project? looks nice for little projects like that try down hand mig gives u a nice bead profile and plenty strong for that application.
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches
    way to many other tools to list

great looking hitch setup. should take one to your JDdealer and see if he wants to put them on the shelf.
    great job.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Yes, I used the 180 autoset on the project. Actually most of the welds look okay but there was one or two beads that looked like they were done by accident (like a hot wire had fallen and arched/melted). I was welding inside with .030 solid wire and c25. The "settings" were .030 wire and the high side of the 1/4" material setting.

I know there was mill scale on the metal, the only cleaning I did was a quick once over with a twisted wire cup brush on a 4.5" grinder. I'm thinking there may have been some kind of oil on the 4" flat bar that I used which affected the welds, as the really bad looking ones involved that piece of scrap.

Also most all of my welding, previous to purchasing the MM180, has been done with the little Weldpack 100 and .035 flux core. And mostly with 1/8" material. So I am sure my welds will look better on the thicker material as I get a bit more practice. My welds with the 180 on 1/8" material look really good to me, it could be that I am moving too fast on the thicker material.
    Larry

"I feel for the man who can only spell a word one way"......Mark Twain

Lincoln AC225-S (OLD/Copper Wound)
    Lincoln Weldpac 100
    Miller Matic 180 (auto set)
    Miller Spool gun 100
    Miller Spectrum 375 Extreme
    Victor Super Range II

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    great looking hitch setup. should take one to your JDdealer and see if he wants to put them on the shelf.
    great job.

There's an idea. Next time I have the X300 on the trailer I might run it by the dealer and let him have a look. Of course I should probably wait untill the warranty is out on the tractor. I've been warned by some people that some dealears point at such modifications to the small lawn tractors if transmission problems develop.
    Larry

Lincoln Weldpac 100
    Miller Spool gun 100
    Victor Super Range II

I've been warned by some people that some dealears point at such modifications to the small lawn tractors if transmission problems develop
    that sucks, but dose not suprise me. you didnt weld to the tractor though its a bolt on option isent it??? maybe take it in off the mower, tell him you made it for a frends and thought they might be interested. not that you need one, nothing to tow but they might.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Nice work, looks very good. Nice paint too. I could see a problem with selling it to the public, I am sure some mooran would try to move a 10,000 lb trailer with his 18 hp mower and probably get hurt and sue.
    Common sense tells you to only try to move light wieght things,as you designed it for, but "common sense" is not very common anymore.

Again nice job.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

but "common sense" is not very common anymore.

very true, sad but true.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

I built an accessory for the hitch yesterday. Here's a couple of pics...

The cargo deck...
    CargoDeck.JPG

CargoDeck2.JPG

John Deere and Guinness....Two of the best.!!!!!
    JDGuinness.JPG
    Larry

Lincoln Weldpac 100
    Miller Spool gun 100
    Victor Super Range II

great stuff man.
    now ya need to make a basket that plugs in like the deck so you can cary hand tools for working around the yard.
    i gotta get off my b ut and get some of that stuff made for mine, all i have so far is a watering tank. well i bought the tank but made the trailor it sits on so i can drag it around the property.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

Thumbs up

Nice hitch and deck. Great looking!