Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Syncrowave 250 DX or Dynasty 200 DX

Hi guys, I'm looking for some feed back on these two machines. I only welded once with an inverter type machine. A friend of mine had a HTP, it was nice, but was DC only. What do some of you like and does a inverter machine have more options when welding aluminum. Also is their any advantages when welding in DC with an inverter. Space and power reqiurements are not a concern.

The obvious difference between the transformer and inverter rigs is cost.

But, the less obvious (read subtle) differences make the Dynasty series of inverters extremely attractive.

Inverters have the programed ability to vary every parameter you can think of. Of special note is the ability to adjust frequency. The transformer rigs are 60 Hertz only. Inverters can run very high (150 Hertz) when that is what the weld parameters require.

If you can afford it, as you say, jump on the inverter.

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

if money allows i would go inverter, but miller has no inverter in the sync 250 class
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

The inverter seems to act like a larger machine in some ways.

in DC the inverter is very similar to the transformer. its in the AC side the inverters really shine. if you don't intend to do a lot of AC work you may be better off just going transformer. keeping in mind the amps you get per $ the transformers well out do the inverters. and don't be fooled the transformers are very capable of making fine welds in both AC and DC. if size and power impute is not an issue the transformer may be a better fit.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

If you mix Argon 20cfm and Helium 6cfm you can weld thicker then the manufacture rec.This is agood ratio to start with. Gas will vary with the cup size and gas lens you uses along with the material. Dynasty 200DX uses less power to achieve the same welding thickness. It will has many more adjustment that with practice will give you a better and prettier weld. I had a sweet deal on the 250dx with tigrunner package. $2500 used with low hours, But still bought the inverter based machine for size, power useage, and portability. Once you get it you will be able to go anywhere with it. That means more jobs and more money. It could easily pay for itself over time. Just my humble opinion. I'm still a newb. I just post a lot. I now how difficult the chooses are. You will be happy with either machine. BTW HTP make an inverter bases dc/ac machine too. Bought the Tig DVD through HTP, but still went Miller.

James
    Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
    WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
    Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
    20Ton press
    And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
    www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Unless you are planning on welding a lot of thick material, the Dynasty can handle your work up to 1/4". By adding a watercooler and beter torch, you will have a top notch set up that's way more portable than the Sync 250.
    There are plenty of well experienced Dyn 200 users here that can help with setting to get you on track.
    So, I guess I'd vote the Dynasty.
    A-

My choice was a Dynasty 300, it has the output of the Syncrowave 250 but not the duty cycle. (the 350 has much better) However it was the best choice for home use, the 250 requires a lot more input juice.

I do find that I can weld aluminum much easier with the Dynasty than a transformer based welder. It seems to be much more controllable.

the down side is the Dynasty is double the cost. It may cost less in the long run when you consider electrical cost.
    Frank
    (aka Fred)
    MM200 (antique and still cook'n)
    Lincoln 160 buzzzzzz box - left to live with a nice youngster
    Dynasty 300DX
    Spectrum 625
    Chevalier Knee Mill - Bridgeport clone you idiot.
    Homebuilt tube bender - with home made dies no less
    Delta Drill Press & Grinder collection

Needed - a bigger shop to use the stuff

Well said. Now wish him good luck in finding a used Dynasty 300DX

James
    Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
    WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
    Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
    20Ton press
    And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
    www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Quote Originally Posted by ant1277 View Post
    Hi guys, I'm looking for some feed back on these two machines. I only welded once with an inverter type machine. A friend of mine had a HTP, it was nice, but was DC only. What do some of you like and does a inverter machine have more options when welding aluminum. Also is their any advantages when welding in DC with an inverter. Space and power reqiurements are not a concern.
    Thanks for the feed back. I was able to try an inverter welder on aluminum today The Lincoln demo trailer was at my local welding supplier today. The NHRA is in town and their doing a few stops then going to set up the display at the race for the weekend. I really like the ability to adjust the frequency. Looks like theirs an inverter welder in my future. I would really like to take a Dynasty 200 for a test ride.