Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Welding heavy plate

Is the weave welding technique still used on heavy plate or is it all stringer work to fill the gap..

How heavy? What process?

If it's thicker than my MIG welder is rated for, I'll do multi-pass. That's stringers.

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Your right sorry about that. Regarding 1/2 to 1" plate work. Years ago I was strictly doing arc welding on plate, but don't know what process is used know. I'm told arc welding is just about dead, by the welding store sales reps.

imo stick welding will never die, way to flexible and adaptable.ive had the best luck with stringers on heavy plate(MIG or stick)
    07 f350 duallie w/deck
    07 tb302d
    2011 big blue pro 300 cat
    victor torch
    matthey beveler
    assorted hand tools

Depends on the position and joint design. I am not sure how much luck has to do with the weld deposit but quality welds are done with both techniques, weaves are used in groove welds except horizontal and vertical fillets.
    Last edited by Sberry; 05-26-2008 at 10:00 PM.

not true a weave can be use in all positions but it all comes down to ur hand skills. all processes can be used and a weave can be used with all but tig welding is better off with stringers but one can put in a sound and correct weave weld.
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches
    way to many other tools to list

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
    I'm told arc welding is just about dead, by the welding store sales reps.
    I assume the experts you refer to mean stick welding since the term "arc welding" can be applied to various forms of electric welding processes. I wonder what they recommend for on-site (out of the controlled confines of a shop) welding on heavy equipment, farm equipment, fences, gates, drilling rigs, trucks, trailers, structures, signs, etc?
    Jim

you can't deny the magic of FLUX!!! I think stick welding will be with us for may years to come. I wish i knew how to do it!!
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

I've worked construction (pipe welding) for many years, I'll be one of the many that'll tell you stick welding isn't dead or any where near it! We still use it on pipe welds in nuclear plants. Stringers or weaves, it's up to the welder as to which they are more comfortable with. I like weaves myself as you can put down a lot more meat with each pass.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
    Your right sorry about that. Regarding 1/2 to 1" plate work. Years ago I was strictly doing arc welding on plate, but don't know what process is used know. I'm told arc welding is just about dead, by the welding store sales reps.
    WOW a sales rep said that. The three major processes that are being used are all ARC WELDING PROCESSES..(GMAW,SMAW,and GTAW) thats what I mean when I say the welding world is going to **** in a hand basket .And a good example of why ''formal training" is needed.

To respond to what you asked..Heavy plate can be welded with a weave technique or stringers can be used. And it all depends on the position of the plate and the process as well as the rods.

"Arc welding is just about DEAD" ask him whats replacing it.