Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default excavator bucket

here's a pic of my son standing inside our latest job. i had to resize the image, i hope it's not too small! if it's ok, i'll add more pics.
    Last edited by grnxrymnky; 04-22-2008 at 06:05 PM.

The pic size is perfect. You've got a great looking boy there! Does he show interest in fixing stuff yet? I was thinking about what he might be doing 10 years from now.
    Jim

Default full blooded boy!

he is a full blooded boy! he has his own little hammer and just loves to be in the shop with me. i had the big excavator bucket rolloed backwards and i was inside it welding vert so i wouldn't have to practically lay down and weld. about halfway through a rod he wales against it with his ball-pein hammer! needless to say it was like sitting in the liberty bell. i peered over the edge and he was just-a-grinnin!
    in ten years he'll be showing me how to do stuff!
    my wife is a stained glass artist and we hope to expose him to that as well, when he's old enough to understand about the dangers of, and be more careful around glass. until then it's easier to keep an eye on him around my shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

"halfway through a rod he wales against it with his ball-pein hammer! needless to say it was like sitting in the liberty bell. i peered over the edge and he was just-a-grinnin!"

LMAO!! Awesome having your son interested in the shop. Yep, I'd darn sure be keeping him away from glass at this age. Please protect his hearing too. Hearing loss is permanent and progressive. It goes away so slowly you don't even notice it leaving. I wear ear muffs any time I run a power tool, especially my 4 1/2" grinders. Maybe I'm too cautious, I can still hear well; but my ears never quit ringing.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

So true about hearing loss. Wished I had used hearing protection more when I started construction. I was somewhat concerned with him looking at the arc while trying to see what daddy's doing. I guess if he's well minded he'll stay where he is told and not look.

My 1st thought was that he looks like me in our Cat988 bucket, only its not wide enough.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    I was somewhat concerned with him looking at the arc while trying to see what daddy's doing. I guess if he's well minded he'll stay where he is told and not look.
    A better point than mine. I was at buddies last week. He was welding something for the neighbor. Maybe 5 welds. It took ALL of my willpower to look away until he called 'clear'. It's like a wild animal being drawn to your headlights.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig in Denver View Post
    Please protect his hearing too. Hearing loss is permanent and progressive. It goes away so slowly you don't even notice it leaving. I wear ear muffs any time I run a power tool, especially my 4 1/2" grinders. Maybe I'm too cautious, I can still hear well; but my ears never quit ringing.

Amen on the hearing loss. As a youngun I never bothered with hearing protection and I used to run jack hammers, loaders, backhoes. Today I wear two hearing aids. Without them, I have to read lips if somebody doesnt talk loud enough, even with my hearing aids in, if your not facing me when you talk at a distance of 10 feet, all I hear is a whisper.

This gives you an idea what 35 years of noise can do.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Thumbs up

Great to see your son out in the shop with you. Alot of parents "baby' their children to much. I don't mean let em get hurt, but just let them help you and they won't be afraid of work. Even if that means beating on the bucket with your head inside LOL
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Default my 2 boys

my two boys are 5 and 2. if they even think they heard my welder fire up they are scrambling to get outside with dad.while i was reading this great thread i just thought that if a person could find a clear or almost clear welding curtain the yungins could maybe "see" a little more of what dad is doing. i hope i never have to deal with a kid with "flash" or steel in their eye!!if i do its no ones fault but mine!!!!
    07 f350 duallie w/deck
    07 tb302d
    2011 big blue pro 300 cat
    victor torch
    matthey beveler
    assorted hand tools

Quote Originally Posted by HMW View Post
    Great to see your son out in the shop with you. Alot of parents "baby' their children to much. I don't mean let em get hurt, but just let them help you and they won't be afraid of work. Even if that means beating on the bucket with your head inside LOL
    I agree let them get dirty Heck I the first time I went on a drilling rig I could barely walk. I think it taught me respect being around things like that when I was younger