Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Anybody have a need for this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE:IT&ih=008

I have one like this and It runs my mm175 without even breaking a sweat.

I didn't look it thru completely but Mr handyman there has fooled with the grounding by changing the recept on that unit, buyer beware.

looks like a nice unit, i could use one of them but i suspect it would end up well out of my $$ range. right now i use a 5,500 for backup power. it gets the job done but dont think it would run my welder's.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    I didn't look it thru completely but Mr handyman there has fooled with the grounding by changing the recept on that unit, buyer beware.
    Yeah, why not just make a Pig Tail??
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

A 13KW rig should run your whole house without breaking a sweat!

They come with a 4-wire plug because the ground and neutral are isolated in the newer generators. If he swapped out the 4-wire for a 3-wire, I wonder which leads he hooked up to the receptacle.

Depending on which way he wired it, and what load he fed with it, there's a possibility of damage.

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

No big deal. If he put the ground wire (green) on the groung lug (green) and capped the neutral it will work fine. If your equipment is 3 wire why screw with a pigtail that can get lost or left behind. Do it right. If you don't know how, hire an electrician.

Quote Originally Posted by holsters View Post
    No big deal. If he put the ground wire (green) on the groung lug (green) and capped the neutral it will work fine. If your equipment is 3 wire why screw with a pigtail that can get lost or left behind. Do it right. If you don't know how, hire an electrician.
    Yes, it would very likely work, just may not be safe. If you were running a single piece of 230 volt equipement that would be true and safe. If you were running a dryer that wouldn't necessarily be safe. Even if the dryer were wired for three wires, still not safe. Electric range, not safe. Feeding multiple 120 volt circuits, not safe. So it really does matter what is being done.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Whos to say that the seller is not a licenced electrician or power worker?

Default Generator

Sh@t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
    Millermatic 210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 625 X-treme
    Hobart Champion 16 W/
    Miller 8VS Suitcase
    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
    Tons of Tools
    Microwave
    Laptop and Printer
    Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!