Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Default reply to whatcha gonna do with that muskox

Well, first I'm going to finish it, then sandblast it, then let it colour to a rich patina, then figure out how and where to display it for sale...it is International Polar Year...perhaps a good year to find a home for this piece. Artists work from their heart, not their head, so I have not thought too far ahead, but the pieces always find the right home eventually. I'll send more shots of it and my other work as I go along.

Default corten steel

You are quite correct, Dabar, in your description...it is a nickle-steel alloy and does just what you described.
    It is used to clad building sometimes and for underpasses.
    Hard for me to find in a workable guage..1/8th inch is my limit...if I need bends in a piece I have to cut the piece to size and do it manually...heating does not help..it is very 'springy'.
    That's why the moose and the filly are built like that...I piece the muscle groups rather than bending and hammering...but I think that shows the metal for what it is... it doesn't look like a wood carving...it looks like a big chunk of welded steel, powerful and beautiful.
    And I want good welds but not perfect long beads so you can sometimes see the edge of the material, and it speaks too.
    I'd love to see more art pieces on this site...I do not know one welder, no matter what they do, who does not also do a little bit of artwork on the side.

Default art work

weldress, this is as close to artwork as I can get. These tiles are 6"x6" hand painted ceramic and I build the frames for a friends mom to sell in her local garden club. This is just a couple that I have done and I try to do each one different for her. Dave

P.S. maybe we should start an art only thread so that yours does'nt get hijacked
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dabar39; 06-17-2007 at 11:18 AM. Reason: added the p.s.
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Thumbs up Defintion of Art

Weldress: As another member has already said - WOW! Although I can't define art - I know fine art when I see it! Your work is most certainly that, and is the best I have ever seen.

I now know why the folks at work refer to my "art" variously as paper weights, counter-weights, ballast....etc. Several of my more severe critics have suggested that I would be better off spending my time building a rack for my steel inventory, rather than welding it together and piling it up everywhere in random clumps!

I must also mention that moose looks even better than the real thing, but I still think if you positioned it anywhere in Alberta during hunting season, I would really fear for its safety!

Again, amazing talent!

Default one shot of my wolves

'I must also mention that moose looks even better than the real thing, but I still think if you positioned it anywhere in Alberta during hunting season, I would really fear for its safety!'
    [/QUOTE]

Ah yes, but there WOULD be ricochet!

.....and Dabar, what beautiful work to be a part of!

all i can say is i hope you set the price high, realy high. you should have no truble getting it.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

lets see some of your art work is a cool post, it tends to go on for ever the one on the hobart board is huge!!! . lots nore back yard and living room art out there than you think. in all vevels of skill, realy neat to go threw and see all the stuff others have made. good for insperation alos.
    26 pages, located here, i wonder how long it would take us to top it.
    http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/...ad.php?t=19631
    Last edited by fun4now; 06-17-2007 at 08:26 PM.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default Grizzlies

This is a shot of my Grizzlies as they are completed...the mother was done first and sandblasted to start the rusting of the Corten, and the cubs were just finished and put outside...therefore the colour is quite different...I will send shots of the finished piece.

Default Grizzlies

Man-o-man, do this girl have talent or what?
    Weldress, It's pretty hard to shut me up, but you keep leaving me speechless. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Default Grizzlies installed

I have detail shots of this piece...7 sheets of four by 12 Corten, cut into 40,000 pieces and welded back together.