Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Thermal Dynamics

I have a TD Cutmaster 51. You can definitely tell when you forget to dial the power down on thin materials, i.e., wide sloppy cuts. The power range on this machine will let you cut precise thin cuts on very thin material and genuine cuts up to 1/2 inch. It will rough cut up to 3/4 inch mild steel. Check out their website for more specs.

My Bobcat 250NT will power this machine in the field or a 220V/50A circuit in the shop will handle it easily. Power available was the limiting factor for me.

I like the TD's better than the Miller plasma cutters. I guess it is the same with all plasma cutters but you really must keep your air source clean and dry to get the best cuts. TD make a great filter that fits on the back of the machine and I run another water filter/separator on the wall end of the air supply. Make sure you never use a pneumatic hose that has been used with and oiler.

This setup has worked well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by woolecox View Post
    I have a TD Cutmaster 51. You can definitely tell when you forget to dial the power down on thin materials, i.e., wide sloppy cuts. The power range on this machine will let you cut precise thin cuts on very thin material and genuine cuts up to 1/2 inch. It will rough cut up to 3/4 inch mild steel. Check out their website for more specs.
    I think this is what I was looking for on my initial question. I didn't know if the larger plasmas kept the same thickness of cut as the smaller plasmas on thinner material. I guess it would be like the equivalent of cutting wood trim with a sawmill.

Thanks for the input.

P.S. I've been looking at the TD 38 on eBay.

My G3 1000 cut up (sever) some scrap 1-1/4 thick I-beam scrap I had in the yard (don't ask)so I could throw it away, and I have a kit for cutting up real this stuff that worked excellent on some 18 gage aluminum. Having 2 machines would have been nice, but I'm super limited on storage space. So I needed a machine that could do all.
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by bikecollector1220 View Post
    I have a 1000 G3 that works great on the thick stuff.... but when I get artistic with it I have to keep my travel speeds very high otherwise you end up with a lot of slag on the back of your work piece.
    I upgraded my Powermax 1100 to the RT80 torch - which is similar to the torch on the G3 machines. I can cut over 1" cleanly and then switch over to the FineCut consumables and cut sheetmetal just as cleanly. You might want to look into those for your 1000.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 250X
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1100

I bought the finecut consumables kit also. Haven't had time to try it out.
    I have sheet of 3/32" aluminum. Would you recommend the finecut consumables for that or just go regular?
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time