Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Titanium sculpture

Here is a 6Al-4V titanium sculpture I recently finished. The top is 24" in diameter and is attached to the base with a 1 1/4" X 7 bolt so it can be taken apart for moving. The only non-titanium parts are the three 1/2" x 13 stainless bolts holding the top to the base.
    I could have welded the two pieces together but decided not to in case I wanted to use the base for another project in the future.

The hardest part was welding the inside joints. Had to leave a couple of openings in the top so I could reach inside to complete the welds. Then I filled in the holes. Luckily I could fit my tig torch thru the pieces to get inside.

Used four 336 cu ft tanks of argon to finish this project as I set post-flow time to 20 seconds for each weld.

Base appears to be some aviation related part as I see heat discoloration.
    Piece weighs 80 lbs so I could probably get a good price for scrap value alone.
    Probably have more money in tig wire than the scrap pieces.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Thumbs up

Cool piece, Burnt Hands.
    Looks like fun.

Did you find those top pieces as drop/scrap material?
    I'm not an airplane guy, but it would be interesting to know what that cast bell-housing was for.

Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by chrisgay@sbcglo; 05-20-2008 at 10:24 AM.

Hi Guys

Nice Sculpture , The Cast Bell Housing Is The Center Of The Brake Assembly That Holds The Multi Disk Pads And The Rotor On The Main Landing Gear Of Big Aircraft.

I Am Working For Air Canada

Bobby
    FABRICATION-CRÉATION K ZEN

MILLERMATIC 210
    SPOOLMATE 3035
    SYNCROWAVE 200
    HYPERTHERM 360

Quote Originally Posted by k zen View Post
    Hi Guys

Nice Sculpture , The Cast Bell Housing Is The Center Of The Brake Assembly That Holds The Multi Disk Pads And The Rotor On The Main Landing Gear Of Big Aircraft.

I Am Working For Air Canada

Bobby
    Thanks Bobby. Those must be some serious brakes. What are they making the rotors and pads out of these days?

Nice job, thanks for sharing..
    Jim

Thumbs up neat

verry cool.
    where did you get all the pices ??
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    verry cool.
    where did you get all the pices ??
    They call that SALT. LOL

That is one cool sculpture. How much does it weight?

James
    Last edited by StillBoostin; 05-20-2008 at 09:01 PM.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
    WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
    Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
    20Ton press
    And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
    www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Default Ti sculpture info

Hello all,

I had collected these drops and scraps over the years from sellers on ebay and a local scrap yard whose owner has sadly ( for me, but happily for him) retired.

They sat collecting dust and crying out for a use until I saw a photo of a stainless steel globe sculpture. It had round bars for the latitude and longitude lines and the countries were cut out of plate and welded to the framework.

Finally had a design but one problem was figuring out a way to assemble the pieces into a hollow shell.

The answer came when I went to a friends house for a cook-out and saw he was using a Weber round charcoal grill.

So I bought the 22" model and used the base as a form to hold the scraps while I welded them together. Made 2 hemispheres then joined them together.

Top weighs 52 lbs and the bolt and base weigh 28 for total of 80 lbs.

Took about 75 hours over a 5 week period to complete.

Bobby, thank you for letting me know what the base is from. This was a mystery to me.

Here is a smaller titanium sculpture I'm sure everyone will recognize. The base plate is 6 7/8" diam x 1/4" to give you a sense of size. The fun part was looking on the internet for information on the dimensions of the actual place so I could make my sculpture proportional.

Thanks for the nice comments.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Thumbs up

cool, nice lil model.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Exclamation

Weber Grill!! I wondered how you got that thing so round.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.