Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bob,
    Great find......I'll second the atf as it has cleaning agents....plus it's a lot cheaper than kroil.......I'v used a mixture of atf and diesel to thin it out some so it will get down the cylinder walls........as well as removing all the plugs when trying to turn it over by hand....well more like rocking it as you don't want a ring to break or scrape a large amount of rust at one time as it can damage the cylinder walls.
    Mike
    George W. Bush was saving your butt whether you liked it or not!
    Fear is temporary, regret is forever
    HH210 with SG

Default Forget about freeing the motor up!

Hey guys, I think you over looked one minor detail in giving advice on freeing up the motor, that being WHY???
    If aametalmaster has got a 302 ready and willing, that ole 6 banger is nothing more than a boat anchor to me. Forget about wasting the time on a tired old beat down motor when you got the fun and challenge of fitting the Jeep with the 302. Besides you don't need a welder to rebuild a motor, but you do need one to fab up the new mounts and towers. Get to cutting and welding and forget about these other suggestions, go wild and create a monster while you're at it. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

dabar39
    i was thinking along the same lines as you . he said he tryed it out and its toast, he has a ready to go one in the basement. why waist the time on the dead dog. its not a clasic resoration project where it needs to stay origenal. its going to be a play toy, so why not make it a better toy wile you are at it.
    not a big fan of the ford's but the 302 is an exelent motor as i understand it so go for it. start fabing up some parts and get at it. take the dead one to a scrap yard for scrap steel and use the $$ to buy some beer for the project.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Im guessing the '96 is a typo. If it is an '86 CJ-7, the last year they made them, then you should have the more desireable Dana 44 rear axle instead of the AMC 20. Good find for $300. Lets see some pictures.
    1976 was the first year that AMC went with the 20 rearend. They had a lot of problems with the two piece axle-it always wanted to revert back to two pieces in high torque situations. A few companies made a lot of money supplying aftermarket axles that work on the 20. what year did they go back to the 44?

the straight 6cyl is good for general off-roading. A v-8 in a cj is good for burning rubber, trashing transmissions, stripping those amc 20 axles, and creating controllabilty issues because of way too much hp in such a light duty, short wheel-base, high cg vehicle. Gave Ralph Nadar a lot of ammo.

if i ever decide to play around with an engine swap i figure i will use a gm 4.3 v6, same bore/stroke as the 258 but in a v package.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by glockdoc View Post
    if i ever decide to play around with an engine swap i figure i will use a gm 4.3 v6, same bore/stroke as the 258 but in a v package.
    Not to hijack your thread but i just welded in a Vortec V6 in a Geo Tracker, what a screamer and rubber burner. We also just made it 2wd. Will get some pics tonight...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by glockdoc View Post
    1976 was the first year that AMC went with the 20 rearend. They had a lot of problems with the two piece axle-it always wanted to revert back to two pieces in high torque situations. A few companies made a lot of money supplying aftermarket axles that work on the 20. what year did they go back to the 44?
    Yup. Im well aware of the model 20 problems. The HD versions of the AMC 20 used in some of the wagonners had one piece axle shafts and held up much better than the CJ versions. The first axle swap on my '98 TJ was a HD AMC 20 rear, Dana 44 front out of a waggy.. they held up very well considering what I put them through. Bent one rear axle shaft and broke a few front stock axle shafts and joints. Im running a Dana 70 rear and Ford RC60 front now

The only year they used the 44 rear in the CJ's was 1986... and IIRC there were actually a few early 86 CJ's with the AMC 20 in there. Most have the 44 though.

Sooo? You got any pics of it or any progress? I would like to know what I would be gettin into because I am going to eventually tear into the same model jeep because thats the one my mom had way back when and she said thats the one she would like to have rebuilt so I of course said shure when can I start. I am still lookin around to find a good deal on one locally wish I could find something as nice as what you did
    welding...its awsome

thanks weld13 to bring up this post I missed! I'm shocked Bob has time, but it's pretty awsome all these guys has so much talent for all kinds of stuff!!!
    Bob...what happened to the pics???
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by weld_13 View Post
    Sooo? You got any pics of it or any progress? I would like to know what I would be gettin into because I am going to eventually tear into the same model jeep because thats the one my mom had way back when and she said thats the one she would like to have rebuilt so I of course said shure when can I start. I am still lookin around to find a good deal on one locally wish I could find something as nice as what you did
    Weld_13
    I know where a cj-7 is has a GREAT body the motor was rebuilt thta the only bad thing and it ain`t got a top $500 no rust new tubs and everthing but it would be along ways to come get

Inferno Forge

Chris

aww shute! Ill have my brother fly me and my dad out to tennesee and will drive it back
    welding...its awsome