Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool Gonna build a Jeep

Well after rolling my first one 25+ years ago i swore i would never have another one. But the bug bit and i found a '96 CJ7 in a barn that hasn't driven in 9 years for 300 bucks. The hardtop is nice but the body isn't at least the rear half. So rather than buy the glass body i had planned i will order two sheets of 1/8" alum and form my own. I worked in a shop that made 11 Scramblers from stainless so i know how and have the equipment. The orig 6 cyl is froze up and i have a nice 302 Ford in my basement that i will put in. Now to find some time...Bob
    TYPO IT IS AN 1986 Thanks M1 for pointing it out
    Last edited by aametalmaster; 06-12-2007 at 09:49 PM.
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

If I may make a suggestion, start oiling everything now, every couple of days put another coat on, when you do get to it, things will be much easier to work with. this is not a perfect solution, but it does help.

planning on playing in the mud?

Tom

This is a good source for Jeep parts and isn't located to far from us. http://www.kentrolinc.com/

Default jeep project

I think we all need another project to work on in our spare time, sounds like you got a good idea on what it will be when it's done. Keep us posted and don't forget the pics. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Question

ahve u worked on trying to free it up? if u have is it just froze up or is it rusted? try puttin some oil down in the cylinders from the spark plugs and that might free it up.
    welding...its awsome

Cool

I bought some Kroil oil and dumped the whole can down the spark plug holes a week ago. That oil is great for freeing up stuff. Then i drug it down the road with a big truck and a chain and tried popping the clutch. I got posi drag marks all over the place but she's still froze. Tomorrow i will put another can in it and try rocking the motor back in forth from underneath somewhere. http://4wd.com is right up the road so i can get parts...Bob

Im guessing the '96 is a typo. If it is an '86 CJ-7, the last year they made them, then you should have the more desireable Dana 44 rear axle instead of the AMC 20. Good find for $300. Lets see some pictures.

Cool

Thanks M1 you are right '86, please forgive me. Maybe i should turn on some lights so my one finger can see And yes it has a Dana 44. Will put some pics up tomorrow...Bob

sounds like a cool project. i got a 51/53 GMC 3/4ton truck i been planing to give new life to. used it for work for over 10 years and now its time to pay it back. but like ya said gotta find the time.9oh and the $$
    i started getting the quads ready for the summer and found out i have to rebuild a starter and a pull spring system in the yamaha and need all new fule lines for the kids eton, it just never ends.
    be shore to post up some pic's of the process.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

You may want to put some ATF or other like oil down the carb, this will help free up the valves. Did this on an older S 10 when it had sat for 4 years and didn't want to even turn over with a new battery.

Jerry