Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Chris,

Appreciate the info.

I do quite a bit of stainless and teak work also. If you ever have a project that is to be continuously or regularly submerged you may try the resorcinol (two part glue) and cleans up with water. I've actually had better luck with it on such things as boat swim platforms than I have had with West System (Epoxy).

Again, really nice work. Ever done any yacht interiors?

Keep up the great work. Really good to see a professional's product. (Kinda get tired of seeing mig carts, if you know what I mean).

Thumbs up

SundownIII, I'll have to try out the resorcinol. Clean-up with water gets a thumbs up from me. I'm getting tired of using so many different chemicals.

I don't do much woodwork anymore, really. Just sort of integrate the wood as an accent most of the time. I started out doing more woodwork and have all the equipment, but there seemed to be more of a calling for the metal at the time. I do enjoy working with wood and would like to do more personal projects out of wood. I love old woodworking equipment, have amassed quite a collection of it, and end up making my living with a 35 pound welder. Go figure.

I haven't done any boat interiors yet, but it seems like a good market. I have been helping a friend out with the welding on his boat restoration project, and he keeps pushing me to get into boat interiors... so... we'll see.

I'd love to see some pics of some of your stuff.

Thanks again.

Cool

looking good. thanks for sharing the pic's with us.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default Your Tables

Isn't working with sainless so nice? Very nice work. Does teak warp with water? I only now that they use it on boats and quess that.

Thanks,
    Lance
    Millermatic 210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 625 X-treme
    Hobart Champion 16 W/
    Miller 8VS Suitcase
    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
    Tons of Tools
    Microwave
    Laptop and Printer
    Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!

Default Sd

Quote Originally Posted by lanceman73 View Post
    Isn't working with sainless so nice? Very nice work. Does teak warp with water? I only now that they use it on boats and quess that.

Thanks,
    Lance
    Thanks Lance. Stainless is nice. So is teak. Any wood will warp with water/sunlight/climate. The key is in the design/geometry/assembly of whatever you're building. However, teak is very resistant to the elements and is dimensionally pretty darn stable for a wood. I don't d*ck around with other woods for anything that will live out of doors. Going full circle, that's why it is used on boats. Thanks for looking.
    If you're ever downtown, swing by the Hilton Gaslamp on 4th and K. We did the steel/stainless teak gates. They have been living down by the water since 2000, with nothing more than an occasional swipe of oil.

I was wondering how you back gassed the upright to the base?

I am very new to this.
    Thanks in advance.

Default Holy @#$*!

Quote Originally Posted by fendermender View Post
    I was wondering how you back gassed the upright to the base?

I am very new to this.
    Thanks in advance.
    I didn't. It's a table, not a spaceship.

Hey Fendermender, not to be curt, but I wasn't worried about any carbon precipitation on the inside of my table base. Wear the shoe that fits, right?

Had I felt it necessary, I would have probably drilled a hole on one of the ends (probably through the flatbar on the top) and back-gassed accordingly.

Thanks for looking.

O.K.
    I understand.
    I need to build a S.S. shroud for a motorized machine so I will keep that in mind.
    It is a grape crusher destemmer.
    It was hand crank but I put a motor on it and I think it needs a shroud around the belt pullies and sprocket and chains.

Default Solar flux paste

Fendermender, that sounds like a cool project.
    If you think you might have some issues with burn through and/or you are concerned with the backside of the welds, I recommend that you try Solar Flux paste. This would probably be an easier alternative than back-purging for your application.
    Given my understanding of your application, however, I probably wouldn't sweat it and just zip 'er up; but I'm not fully aware of your criteria.

Good luck... and post pics. I'm sure there's a bunch of us who would love to see pics of a stainless steel covert/housing for a grape crusher/destemmer.

Smile Solar Flux

Quote Originally Posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
    Fendermender, that sounds like a cool project.
    If you think you might have some issues with burn through and/or you are concerned with the backside of the welds, I recommend that you try Solar Flux paste. This would probably be an easier alternative than back-purging for your application.
    Given my understanding of your application, however, I probably wouldn't sweat it and just zip 'er up; but I'm not fully aware of your criteria.

Good luck... and post pics. I'm sure there's a bunch of us who would love to see pics of a stainless steel covert/housing for a grape crusher/destemmer.
    Thanks.
    I ordered a can of "Solar Flux" today from the local Praxair and bought a small bottle of the Methanol to mix with it.

Anxious to give it a try.
    Randall