Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tables: stainless and teak

And yet another project.

The following pictures tell the short story of four custom tables we knocked out for a residence a couple of years ago. My how time flies when you're having fun.

The customer saw something I had previously designed and built, so we just adapted the design to suit their needs.

1. Start with a circle... cut from 3/8" 304 stainless... and find its center. Simple enough.
    2. Layout for the top frame, which has already been drilled, countersunk at this point in the game.
    3. Zip it up, dawg.
    4. These butt joints were done autogenously (sp.?) since they have to nestle into a specific locale... no grinding necessary for a good fit. Plenty strong for the application.
    5. ...And the fit. Yes, that's the underside.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default going through the paces

1. Mill the 8:4 Teak. Try not to screw it up along the way. Hope you did it all correctly.
    2. Jigging up the frame. Gotta be straight and tidy. A nice flat table is precious day in and day out.
    3. Fitting up the wood.
    4. JC keeping it real.
    5. Naked frame.

Default All in a day's work... riiiight.

1. Clamped up right.
    2. Naked frame again... huh huh... he said "naked."
    3. Detail of the underbelly.
    4. Presto/Alacazam!
    5. Wave goodbye...

Thanks for looking. Now get off the computer and get some work done.

Nice work
    thanks for sharing
    Jim

Very nice work. Teak and SS, I'll assume its for outdoor use? Not that it wouldn't look good IN my house.

Exclamation

Pic DSC09932....................

WOW................
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    Very nice work. Teak and SS, I'll assume its for outdoor use? Not that it wouldn't look good IN my house.
    Yeah, these four tables were going to live outside on someone's outdoor patio or something for entertaining guests. I never did get to see their new home... I'm sure it was a pretty nice spread.

JimYoung and Craig in Denver, thanks for looking. Craig, I try to spell everything correctly, but occasionally I'll slip in some slang... and occasionally I'll just slip.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
    Craig in Denver, thanks for looking.I try to spell everything correctly, but occasionally I'll slip in some slang... and occasionally I'll just slip.
    Chris, I can't help it; spelling is the only thing that came easy for me. Like your welding. It's called creative spelling and I enjoy someone else's skills (welding and spelling sparring). I'll watch myself closer in the future.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

Chris,

Really nice work. Not just the tables but the whole portfolio.

Did you use epoxy or resorcinol for glueing up the teak?

Those tables set the customer back a pretty penny. The last 8/4 teak I bought (2 weeks ago) ran me $26/bd ft.

You're fortunate to have such high end clients. Always fun to work with good materials.

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    Chris,

Really nice work. Not just the tables but the whole portfolio.

Did you use epoxy or resorcinol for glueing up the teak?

Those tables set the customer back a pretty penny. The last 8/4 teak I bought (2 weeks ago) ran me $26/bd ft.

You're fortunate to have such high end clients. Always fun to work with good materials.
    Thanks SundownIII. I've been at it a while and am lucky to get to work on some cool things.

I did not glue up those teak boards on these table. Instead we just gapped them (about 1/8") and screwed them from the underside. These were for outdoor use and I find that this method for an outdoor table/fence/seat leads to less problems/warping/splitting and lets the water run through.

I have used epoxy, polyurethane (Gorilla brand works OK), and even yellow glue on teak for other applications. I have had success with all three... they key as you know is in proper fitup and cleanliness; I swipe it with Acetone prior to glue-up. Gee, this sounds a lot like welding prep.

Oh man, the cost of materials these days is brutal. Yes, teak is a small fortune and I always have to check the cost of wood and metal as they fluctuate so much (always up, of course). Thanks for looking.