Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: $400 a used Miller Maxstar 150s or a new Hobart Stickmate ac/dc

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Miller maxstar 150s

6 60.00%
  • Hobart Stickmate

4 40.00%

Hybrid View

Default Maxstar 150S or a Hobart Stickmate ac/dc

I have found a used Maxstar 150s (stick only) for the same price I can get a new Hobart stickmate ac/dc for. I don't need the portability of the Miller....it would be nice however.........I like the fact that the Miller has a higer duty cycle...and it will take up less space....it includes the case and leads....as far as having 220 that isn't a problem......if I need to weld with a 110v outlet I can use my HH140.....what would you guys do?
    Thanks,
    Mike
    George W. Bush was saving your butt whether you liked it or not!
    Fear is temporary, regret is forever
    HH210 with SG

do you have any plans for doing aluminum ???
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Not with stick......as for TIG I'm still getting my feet wet with MIG......I'd love to have a TIG set up but the $ involved is a little much for me at this time.
    Mike
    HH210 with SG

Hey Mike,

Just curious. Why would anyone get rid of a Miller Dialarc AC/DC unit to get a Stickmate? Seems like a giant step backwards.

I finally (after cleanup and painting) got my Dialarc up and running. That is one sweet machine in DCEP. Every bit as good as the Sync 250 and a lot less hassle to set up. That was the main reason for going with the Dialarc, so that I didn't have to keep changing out my leads.

Since I've picked up the MM251 w/30A Spoolgun, I probably won't use the Dialarc that much, but it's nice to know there's a sweet machine in the corner, ready to "burn some rods".

I didn't have the juice to run the Dial Arc....and I had a line on a nice MM185 with spool gun for $500 (deal fell through)....so I started looking at stick machines and ran across the used Maxstar......but now that the HH210 is out I may have to look at it as well.
    Mike
    HH210 with SG

if all you ever plan on using it for is stick i would say go for the maxstar. if you think you might like to try TIG some day then go with the TIGmate.
    the tigmate would alow you to play with TIG and lern it as time permits and when you are ready to get a realy nice TIG unit later if you outgrow the tigmate you can use the footcontrole, torchest and gages on the new one. also you can get the torch one month, the gages the next foot controle the fallowing month and no big strain to the wallet, and all this time you still have the stick being used for whatever its needed for. the tigmate offers a lot more versatility. true it dose not go down to 5 amps but as a stick welder would you ever go below 30 amps ?? look at it as a free TIG lerning tool.
    if you know there is no way you want to try TIG go with the maxstar to save some space and lower power use. as i understand it DC realy is the way to go when stick welding any way.seems to be the preferd process.
    tuff choice but i would have to vote tigmate. like i said its a free TIG lerning tool, slowly invest an additional $250 and you are ready to lern TIG, even less if you want to share a regulator with one of your other machines.

if you didnt have the juce for the dialarc can you give the tigmate its needed 60amp breaker ??
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES