Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default stainless bench supports

The following pics tell the story of a job we did last year for a restaurant.
    We had to make 86 bases/supports for a series of long bench seats; some benches were straight, some were round, wrapping around a table.
    We ended up using 3/8 x 2 stainless 304 bar stock with a brushed finish. Needless to say, this material don't come cheap.

Here it goes:

1. Start cutting lengths. Sounds simple enough
    2. Make a pattern and understand what the heck we're supposed to do with all this expensive metal.
    3. Stainless steel, meet Mr. Hossfeld.
    4. For those of you familiar with benders like this, you need no commentary. For those of you who have never used this kind of machine: it required some trial, a fair amount of error, and a good portion of diligence. These are crude machines, seemingly made in barns, but they get the job done, one piece at a time. You just have to understand the metal, the machine, and their/your limitations. So... we take lots of notes, make a bunch of marks and lean into the work. LEVERAGE.
    5. Jig for the bandsaw to make the right cut.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default persistence

1. Start lining 'em up. Parts is parts.
    2. J.C. keeping us on the straight and narrow.
    3. Who's gonna weld this stuff together?! I don't understand.
    4. Not too shabby...
    5. Alright, weld 'em up... all 86. Not the fanciest jig I've ever made, but it got it done.

Default final stretch

1. This is a good start.
    2. Nobody told me they get mounting plates!?!?! 172 of them... welded to the formed frames. And I thought I was out of the woods.
    3. Ok. Bring it.
    4. Stack 'em up.
    5. On the way to 86.

Thanks for looking.

Side note: When I weld a lot of stainless steel, I ALWAYS wear a respirator. Read up on Hexavalent Chromium. Even though I was outdoors in good working conditions, I got sick from this job and attributed it to all the fumes. I'd rather not feel that way again. My $ .02. Your health.

Have a good one. Be safe.

Very impressive. Just last night I was talking to a machinist/hot rod builder / fabricator friend about building a jig for some projects I am doing. He described the same thing you did. Thanks for putting a picture to words.

A very time consuming project indeed.Have you ever tried having the stainless blasted with a fine grit? makes a nice pewter look.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES