Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Todays job

Talking

Great work! I have to fab and install one on my dad's Ford L8000 dump. I'm not quite sure how thick is apropriate though. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm not quite sure just what factors I need to consider in the design process But I have a general Idea of what to do.

Thumbs up

nice looking thanks for the pics.
    We have all 15 and 25 ton pintle hooks with spring cushion where I work. Pretty tough, but they do work on them as some trucks pull a trailer almost everyday.
    Good job
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Head View Post
    I would think 3/4-inch at least! But one may be able to go thinner with the proper design. Skip weld say 3/4 x 2-inch flatbar criss-crossed on the backside, (like an X). Any thinner than 3/4-inch plate and I would be thinking on the lines of a * pattern. A truck that size I would go with 3/4-inch plate, and still weld strong backs on the backside. Could also look at welding or bolting a diagonal brace from the backside of the pintle hitch back to a cross member in the truck frame. Or go with a < shape and bolt into the truck frame in two places.
    If you donít have a proven design it is easier to over do it at first, than repair it later!
    Thanks for the advice! My dad has a general idea of how to do it but there's some key strength requirements that he dosn't know how to design. I'll ask him what his load requirements are to get a better idea.

Talking

He said he would like to set it up for a 30 Ton trailer. I'm thinking 7/8" plate would work well but I'm not quite sure.

7/8" would be fine for 30 ton.Just add gussets add weld it up good.Good luck
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by admweld View Post
    7/8" would be fine for 30 ton.Just add gussets add weld it up good.Good luck
    Thanks!

Adam that looks like a small pntle for such a big truck, and did you triple pass your D- rings.

Some times depending on the application I like to put a strong back across the plate.

Nice job however.

I hope work is well, This is the slowest Ive been in 20 years.

Not that I dont have work, I just dont have the bigger projects that I am used to.

The small jobs have always been good pocket change but the bigger $ 15,000 - $ 30,000.00 are what pay the bills and let you save a little.

Some of the bigger jobs are just now starting to come in.

All I can say is that Im glad I dont have alot of debt.

Quote Originally Posted by c wagner View Post
    I haven't used a mag drill in years and Black Wolf is right you gotta love em!!!
    Great job on the hitch!
    I bought one a few years ago.... a Milwaukee, the only tool i wish i never bought.
    It only works went i can clamp it down, otherwise it pops up the bit catches and it spins like a top.... So i bought a 40 ton punch/shear, that i like it so much a got a 90 ton last year

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Adam that looks like a small pntle for such a big truck, and did you triple pass your D- rings.

Some times depending on the application I like to put a strong back across the plate.

Nice job however.

I hope work is well, This is the slowest Ive been in 20 years.

Not that I dont have work, I just dont have the bigger projects that I am used to.

The small jobs have always been good pocket change but the bigger $ 15,000 - $ 30,000.00 are what pay the bills and let you save a little.

Some of the bigger jobs are just now starting to come in.

All I can say is that Im glad I dont have alot of debt.
    3/4" plate portable and i 2 passed my d rings.Been 3yrs now i still do work for this guy plates still there.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA