Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Default What!

Quote Originally Posted by m.k.swelding View Post
    The Body looks good the truck on the other hand the truck is kinda small. but i guess it works for you.
    The truck is a class & rated for 34K lbs. Loaded, I'm at 23K. The engine in the largest output of the 4900's at 250hp. This is not a Ford!
    Millermatic 210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 625 X-treme
    Hobart Champion 16 W/
    Miller 8VS Suitcase
    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
    Tons of Tools
    Microwave
    Laptop and Printer
    Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!

Default ACTION Magazine

My service truck will be featured in the next issue. I'm loving it!!
    Millermatic 210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 625 X-treme
    Hobart Champion 16 W/
    Miller 8VS Suitcase
    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
    Tons of Tools
    Microwave
    Laptop and Printer

I like you idea of having your own service truck, but I presume it will a hassle of work. You can take the services of transport companies also when you in need of truck or crane hire service.

Default what?

Quote Originally Posted by cartsean View Post
    I like you idea of having your own service truck, but I presume it will a hassle of work. You can take the services of transport companies also when you in need of truck or crane hire service.
    Can you please tell me something that is similar to the ENGLISH translation! WTF!
    Millermatic 210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 625 X-treme
    Hobart Champion 16 W/
    Miller 8VS Suitcase
    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
    Tons of Tools
    Microwave
    Laptop and Printer

Default uh

Quote Originally Posted by mooseman63825 View Post
    I have alot experience with inverters there is alot of hidden facts and myths that alot of people don't really pay attention to when purchasing them especially in a commercial enviroment.

here is a few of my rules

1.believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see.

Reason being there is no governing body to tell you that what they put on the box for that inverter is true or not. So as soon as you see the max and cont. wattage on a inverter automatically cut that number in half even if they give the correct numbers its nice to have a solid cushion as alot of our toys have a heavy start up wattage.

2.Location Location Location.
    Finding a good place to mount your new unit can be a challenge. Where do you want the outlets how much wire are you wanting to run. Is their a good location for a good solid ground wire. Where should i place it in case i do pop a fuse when i power up my tools ( I have built many custom inverter/breaker boxes with built in voltage/amp gauges to tell you how many amps you are pulling and the current charge of your batteries and to make the units easy to reset in case of a overload). proper ventilation is key as well as MOSFETS tend to get very very hot under load

3.What tools do intend to run on a daily basis
    this rule really should be the first thing you consider when looking into inverter over generator. what is the wattage my power tool uses at start up as well as normal running and under load and how many items running at any given this is crucial as overloading the unit will cause breakers to blow and premature system wear and massive amounts of heat which will destroy mosfets quickly

anywho enough on my long post just thought i would throw in my two cents worth

don't forget a alternator upgrade maybe needed as well most local alternator shops can do this for you and build it to the amperage you need
    (Learned most of this when i was in the marine corp building stuff for my buddies cars for them to run computers and such plus i had to make them look cool lol )
    270 amp alternator, 6 agm 31 series batteries, two 1.5 amp solar panels and welder/generator with switch panel to compensate.
    Millermatic 210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 625 X-treme
    Hobart Champion 16 W/
    Miller 8VS Suitcase
    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
    Tons of Tools
    Microwave
    Laptop and Printer

I just pulled truck out of the shed. Kept forgetting some little stuff and the final straw was a seized choke cable on the welder I had field rigged with a clothespin. I fix that and figure it was due for oil change, 12 yrs, 205 hrs. It was time, had a couple outages added a few, fix ground clamp I had to rig with set of vice grips, fix a couple brackets and add a cord hanger, sort thru some fittings, remove some trash and a couple pieces I never use, fill the rod boxes.

Even the chipping hammer was dull, fine if you wanted to beat some slag into submission.

I don't have an inverter on my service truck, if I was a daily driver I would, mainly to recharge cordless batteries without connecting to shore power daily and to run a few zings with a grinder for fab work so I didnt have to start engine drive for light misc work. I have one on my pickup, used it to run a drill in a pinch and use it to grinder on occasion and a couple minutes with a sump pump. Its handy on occasionally although most days can work around it in the field. Battery tools has really slammed the need for it for me.