Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

What are you running for the inverter? I have been looking at the 3000W/6000W Vectors for my new truck. Really want something that I can direct wire the outlets for as opposed to something that has direct plugs. How much power can you get from yours and do you have extra batteries for it? I'll take any info or suggestions that you might have on a inverter system.

BTW I'll post some pict of my custom truck. Other than the sliding roof it looks somewhat similar to what you built with out the under floor storage. I opted out on that and wish I hadn't. Alum Ladder rack is in the works right now if i can get a few days of decent weather to work.

side.jpg
    rear view.jpg
    top.jpg
    rear open.jpg

I keep looking at the posibility of undermounting some air storage tanks but don't need that much mobile air very frequently. I should be able to run the small comp or my gas comp if I need to or use my big HP air bottles if I had no other choice.

Really nice job on this body. You even added the small yellow marker lights down the side and a rubber wheel well flare and those brush strips. Very nice. Alot of planning and work went into this.

Default Inverter

I'm using a Power Bright 3500w/7000w inverter with four 15 amp outlets. I use plugs and short jumpers to go to a pull box. As for batteries, I've got three dedicated 31 series AGM cell batteries for the inverter and have a switch that'll connect the front three truck batteries with the inverter batteries. And I use the trucks 115 amp alternator to charge them. I also use 110v battery charger that is mounted near the inverter and has an outlet on the rear of the truck to charging at night.
    Thanks,
    Lance
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lanceman73; 05-21-2008 at 08:14 AM.
    Millermatic 210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 625 X-treme
    Hobart Champion 16 W/
    Miller 8VS Suitcase
    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
    Tons of Tools
    Microwave
    Laptop and Printer
    Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!

Thanks, nice set up. Any idea how long you can use the inverter before the bats drain down? I know I have a heavy alt on the truck and its been suggested to idle the truck when I want to run the invereter. Just trying to figure out how many bats I would need and what size. I was thinking about the onboard battery charger idea also. Probably putting way too much thought and effort in this, but I want to do it right the first time. My gen set takes up too much space to drag it around on a regular basis.

Default Inverter

On my old service truck, I had my welder/generator and a 3000w generator because I always need 110 volts. I got tried of the noise and having to worry about gas and oil changes. I've not had to start the truck and run it while using the inverter. Most jobs for me, last from 1 to 4 hours then I drive to the next one. I do have my welder/generator to use as backup and everything is hard wired with a switch box that you can see above my toolbox. I run a 15amp vacuum pump, 4" grinders, recovery unit and microwave with no problems all day. The guy at the battery warehouse said that the alternater wouldn't charge the batteries as much as a 110v battery charger.
    Thanks,
    Lance
    Millermatic 210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 625 X-treme
    Hobart Champion 16 W/
    Miller 8VS Suitcase
    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
    Tons of Tools
    Microwave
    Laptop and Printer

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

Thumbs up

great job.
    you should get many years of use out of that baby.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I love it. How did you make those doors or did you buy them?

James
    Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
    WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
    Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
    20Ton press
    And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
    www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Default Doors

I framed the doors to the openings using 1/8" spacers and alot of clamps. Tacked everything and sent them to sheet metal shop to break the 14ga. steel around them. Once I got them back, I slowly spot welded them to the frame from the inside first. Since I don't have a large welding table to clamp them to, I spent about a day on each door. I ruined the first one, because I went to fast and warped it. On the 14ga. inside panel, I plug welded against the two inside 3/4" bars that brace the door handle assembly. I think that I probably spent 15 to 20 hours per door. There are a total of 10 doors! I used the weld on hinges from my local welding supplier. The doors weighed about 80lbs. each on average. The hinges I used were rated at about 300lbs. or so each.
    Thanks,
    Lance
    Last edited by lanceman73; 05-23-2008 at 07:06 PM.
    Millermatic 210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 625 X-treme
    Hobart Champion 16 W/
    Miller 8VS Suitcase
    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
    Tons of Tools
    Microwave
    Laptop and Printer

Quote Originally Posted by lanceman73 View Post
    I framed the doors to the openings using 1/8" spacers and alot of clamps. Tacked everything and sent them to sheet metal shop to break the 14ga. steel around them. Once I got them back, I slowly spot welded them to the frame from the inside first. Since I don't have a large welding table to clamp them to, I spent about a day on each door. I ruined the first one, because I went to fast and warped it. On the 14ga. inside panel, I plug welded against the two inside 3/4" bars that brace the door handle assembly. I think that I probably spent 15 to 20 hours per door. There are a total of 10 doors! I used the weld on hinges from my local welding supplier. The doors weighed about 80lbs. each on average. The hinges I used were rated at about 300lbs. or so each.
    Thanks,
    Lance
    Wow that is a lot of work. The truck is sweet. One day I'll have someting like yours. Thanks for the build up picks. You must have a minimum of a 1000hrs in this bad boy. Add a boy, and you the man sayings are well in order. And you can toot your own horn now too!

James
    Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
    WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
    Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
    20Ton press
    And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
    www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com