Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

All tanks must be round on all sides. Pressure multiplies in corners!(square tanks)
    Millermatic 210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 625 X-treme
    Hobart Champion 16 W/
    Miller 8VS Suitcase
    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
    Tons of Tools
    Microwave
    Laptop and Printer
    Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!

Lightbulb

I'd bet most air tanks are welded by computerized robotics.
    I'm a home garage guy. A trick I learned years ago: Since my tank is going to leak down between uses anyway; when I bought my new compressor I set the drain to leak just a little. So, any moisture always gets pushed out. Since I couldn't hear a small leak, I used soapy water in a paper cup and just opened the drain til I got bubbles. Works fer me and YMMV.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Head View Post
    You are just full of information!
    Leave it to California, but in this case I think that is a very good idea. Wonder if portable, (diesel driven) compressors fall under this same inspection?

Never seen a compressor with out a drain plug, seen lots of people who do not believe in draining the tanks!
    All tanks do have drains. Manual drains. The Cal Osha requirement is for an automatic drain. A drain cycled by a solenoid or a float type drain either way it must be automatic and it must work. They will not certify the tank without it.
    And yes portables are required as well as long as they are over ten gallons.

And I didn't go out of my way to learn this crap just because I have all this free time and no life I managed a maintenance shop for a large company.(100 employees and three shifts) I not only took care of all the facilities machinery and production machinery. I also had to take care of all the licenses, permits, and inspections too. Fire dept, Health dept, Cal Osha, CARB, Cal state water resources board. EPA. etc were all on my list of people that would pay me a visit every few months to at the very minimum once a year with follow up visits to prove compliance. Yeah it was FUN stuff with a capitol friggin F
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

Quote Originally Posted by lanceman73 View Post
    All tanks must be round on all sides. Pressure multiplies in corners!(square tanks)
    Might be better said that corners act as stress concentrators. The pressure is the same throughout a static pneumatic system.

Funny that folks are all nuts about a US welder making a tank to a way overbuilt spec but we think little of imported Chicom tanks that are made by who knows under what process control. Sure the first one was inspected and passed but how about the ones made when no one is looking which are most of them. They can't even keep lead out of paint or dog food and raw material for medicine clean, what makes anyone think that are using good methods, metal and filler to make pressure tanks?
    Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    Funny that folks are all nuts about a US welder making a tank to a way overbuilt spec but we think little of imported Chicom tanks that are made by who knows under what process control.
    i think that the lesson to be learned here is that there's more to
    making pressure tanks/etc/etc than just running a few quick beads
    on some scrap that was laying around (i'm being a bit snarky just
    to emphasize the point -- the original poster definitely was not
    proposing such a bit of cruftsmanship).

reading the thread has reinforced my view that, as a weekend
    weldor, there's no way in the netherworld that i'd want to take
    on a job like this by myself. i'm fairly sure i'd blow myself up...

presumably, the original poster can use this information the same
    way as i did, to decide what he'd overlooked, how to deal with it,
    and so on.

some folks mentioned cost effectiveness. it may not be cost
    effective to make your own tank -- but it might be a lot more fun
    and give you a lot more satisfaction at the end of the day. as the
    master card ad says, "priceless".

f

Quote Originally Posted by willy View Post
    I wouldnt do it - but I'm not a welder by trade either. I agree with the others that you definately dont want to use flat ends
    Attached are some pics of a compressor my Dad built me about 10 years ago. He used weld caps on the ends, pop off valves etc....
    Now before anyone jumps all over me, he was a pipe welder with all the certs and mostly welded high pressure steam lines for the local university and John Deere. He's retired now, but still the best welder I know of. I'd bet my life on that compressor never letting go, but on the same hand feel very very nervous filling a purchased portable air tank with 90psi, built by people who build them day in and day out (probably in China). I had a buddy on the receiving end of a purchased air tank that decided to let go. Wasnt a pretty site - the tank basically wrapped around his head. 10K later in plastic surgeory he still looks like Herman Munster (minus the bolts). Let me know if you would like any other pics of the tank. I'll get a picture of the tank that blew up on him when I get a chance - he kept it as a little reminder since the only thing he remembers is starting to fill it, then getting the hospital bill
    Willy. That is a beautiful piece of work, I really like the rubber mounts on the compressor.

I'd be proud to have that one in my shop.
    Trailblazer 302
    Lincoln SP-135-T
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Smith torch
    Spoolmatic 30A

Cool

Willy, Nice looking comp.
    There are prob 100 guys on this forum that could weld up a tank, but with out the ASME stamp someone will be asking for trouble some day if something ever happened not saying it will. I have had 2nd thoughts about using mine that i scabbed together from a semi truck air tank that is prob 35 years old. I think its time to replace the tank with a store bought one and use my old one for an oil drum or something...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by shortarc View Post
    Willy. That is a beautiful piece of work, I really like the rubber mounts on the compressor.

I'd be proud to have that one in my shop.
    Thanks - It's kind of one of the show pieces of my shop. There are so many neat little things on it that the pictures dont show - Dad is definately good...I'm trying to learn

He built one for himself, myself, my brother, my brother-in-law, and one of his close friends. I've got to take it all apart to clean it again one of these days - I'll get some photos and post them - with a disclaimer of course "Don't try this at Home"

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Willy, Nice looking comp.
    There are prob 100 guys on this forum that could weld up a tank, but with out the ASME stamp someone will be asking for trouble some day if something ever happened not saying it will. I have had 2nd thoughts about using mine that i scabbed together from a semi truck air tank that is prob 35 years old. I think its time to replace the tank with a store bought one and use my old one for an oil drum or something...Bob
    Thanks - I agree with you 100%
    If I didnt know the source that it came from I'd be leary as well

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by willy View Post
    I'll get some photos and post them - with a disclaimer of course "Don't try this at Home"
    I think we all have some of them too...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48