Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default Anyone Ever Built an Air Tank?

I'm in the process of getting everything together for a air compressor, already have a large Ingersoll Rand pump and have found a source for the motor. I can't find a decent tank near home. I do have some natural gas line pipe that is 30" od, 3/8" wall and a friend has a sheetmetal shop that can cut the ends (3/8") on his plasma cutter. Has anyone ever done this? I'm not worried about the welds, but is there anything else I need to look at?

Thanks, Justin

I never heard of anyone that has built their own air compressor but considering the pressure that is going to be in the tank, (30" WOW) you may want to reconsider. I did hear of the older tanks (50's style) blowing up on guys taking their leg off or worse.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Head View Post
    Make sure you dome those ends!
    Can I buy domed ends?

Exclamation

Buy a tank. You'll live longer!

Quote Originally Posted by KEENAVV View Post
    You're probably right, I've been looking for a while. Shipping is outrageous on these things.

I second that. 30 inch end plate at 120 PSI is 84,823 total pounds of force or just over 42 tons. That's 900 pounds per linear inch of weld. No thanks I'd rather have that little tag on the side of the tank say it's been tested and certified. because if it does fail for any reason your insurance will not pay.
    and that's the least of your worries
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

Cool

I also would buy a tank. Without the ASME stamp on the tank you are asking for trouble someday...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Head View Post
    Iíll bet by the time you factor in the cost of the domes + the shipping, a replacement air compressor tank will be more appealing.
    One cheap prosthetic alone is close to $10,000 let alone the pain & suffering. I among many others on this board would hate to see a fellow welder get hurt trying to save a couple dollars.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

I agree with most guys here, generally this is not a good idea, scares me to think of some of the stuff I did when I was a kid,, and then some.

I don't understand this line of thought as SOME ONE makes the tanks?

Why can't Iron head or any one else that is qualified to do so make their own tank?