Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V8 Trike Frame

Thumbs up V8 Trike Frame

Would anyone have blue prints for a trike frame that would hold a small V8, My boys are itching to get started building one.

Cool

I don't have any prints on paper, just in my head. I started one 20 years ago. I used some flat bar to mock up the angles of the frame and the head tube. i think the frame was 60 degrees. I custom made a head tube on the lathe. My buddy had one with an Alum V8 Buick motor on it...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default V-8 Trike Frame

I am a life member in the "BTW" Brothers of Third Wheel, all trikers about 5,000+ members world wide go to this URL and check it out, get on the forum and ask, I don't know of any but if no one there knows any,,, I would bet you will not find one.

http://btw-trikers.org/uploads/home.php

I am currently building a new trike out of 1.75 DOM with a V-6 Ford, auto and Independent rear suspension out of a 89 Cougar. Keep in mind the V-8 needs to be supported, and the rake and trail need to be right, but tons of good people that will help you over at the BTW.

Good luck

Cool

that sounds COOL

Inferno Forge

Chris

i gotta check out that site, thanks Mushroom.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by Srogers View Post
    Would anyone have blue prints for a trike frame that would hold a small V8, My boys are itching to get started building one.
    Hello, I don't have any blueprints but I do have a suggestion. If yoo can, take a first-hand look at one of the "Boss Hoss" V-8 motorcyles. (name corrected, Ha. ) They typically use a 350 V-8 and they also have a trike model. The frame would be exactly what you are talking about. You could get some good ideas from looking at one.

As a long time motorcyclist, I've been to numerous Harley and other gatherings. Boss Hogg usually has a booth and I believe there is a website.

If I were to build a V-8 Trike, I would spend extra time on the front fork and the steering head. There's a lot more weight on the front end than a standard motorcycle. It might even be a good idea to design a special fork for the trike sufficient to take the weight and still permit easy steering and shock absorption. Special attention to the rake and trail settings would be very important to prevent wobbles and hard steering.

One nice thing about it is youll be doing a lot of welding. It would be a perfect job for some MIG and Stick ( with Miller machines, of course. LOL)
    Last edited by Synchroman; 08-27-2007 at 06:23 PM.

I believe the bikes you're referring to are actually called "Boss Hoss" as opposed to "Boss Hogg"s, although their first model was called something like "The Boss Hawg" as I recall. I knew a guy in Key West with one with a GM350 in it. Anyway, here's the link for their trikes page:

http://www.daytonabosshoss.com/trikes.htm

I didn't see anything about buying the frames though. The absolute BEST trike I've ever seen (okay, let me rephrase that: my FAVORITE trike frame, since I'm not all that much of a trike fan) is the one made by Exile Cycles, and you can indeed download their price list in MSWord format for any/all parts you may need.

Clint Baxley
    Baxley Welding Service
    Rembert, SC 29128

Here's a list for Exile's Trike page:

http://www.exilecycles.com/index.php?section=25

Clint Baxley
    Baxley Welding Service
    Rembert, SC 29128

Default V8 Trike frame.

Hi, I don't know if you have what you want yet, but if not I'm happy to help if I can.
    I built a V8 trike using a Leyland P76 engine and Trans. Jaguar XJ6 Diff.
    I built the frame, front end and body.
    I was told when I built it that the best rake for the front end was 47 deg.
    I used this and it's fine. I made a springer front end with the front set of forks bent to shape from inch and threequarter shaft, the rear set of forks are made from two inch x three eights wall thickness tube. Tripple trees are made from inch and a half med tensile plates. Main chassis is made from 2inch med black pipe. I'm happy to sketch any parts you may still require.
    Please email me at colchi@xtra.co.nz. Then I can send you a photo, As I don't know how to send thru this forum.
    My trike has been in many bike shows and won many trophys. It's not like any other trikes you may have seen.
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Collie132,
    welcome to the show.
    now you got us all drooling for pic's.
    if you want to send them to me i will post them here for you. or if you use the manage attachments button under where you type your message you will need to reduce the pic size to under 100 kbs . if you don't have a good re-sizer i'll be happy to do it for you. if you are running microsoft XP they have an excellent re-sizer in the power toys section. here
    Image Resizer
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
    i have used it for several years now with great results and no problems.
    one way or another you gotta show off the pic's.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES