Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wink

[
    fendermender
    As a former home-brewer now small vineyard owner and winemaker
    got a simple recipe, i would love to brew up a little wine. did some as a kid with my step mom.some kind of little red berries. seems like we did it in glass with cheese cloth over it. but its been a wile.
    i was thinking maybe raspberry or black berry would be cool to brew from.
    know of a good book or source on home brew??[/QUOTE]

This guy is a friend of mine.
    http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request.asp
    This is not the home page but the link goes directly to the recipes.
    Randall

Talking Sweeet!!!!

thanks fendermender, you the MAN................... ................or maybe your Friend is ???? ................................... ok you both are
    thanks a bundle

2 tsp acid blend
    1/8 tsp grape tannin
    1 crushed Campden tablet
    1 tsp yeast nutrient
    Champagne wine yeast

where would i find this stuff ?? grocery store ?? or do i need a brew-erie supply place ???
    guess i got a lot more looking into to do, great start though. thanks.8^))
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    thanks fendermender, you the MAN................... ................or maybe your Friend is ???? ................................... ok you both are
    thanks a bundle

2 tsp acid blend
    1/8 tsp grape tannin
    1 crushed Campden tablet
    1 tsp yeast nutrient
    Champagne wine yeast

where would i find this stuff ?? grocery store ?? or do i need a brew-erie supply place ???
    Homebrew supply.
    There is one in almost every town "I think"
    Lots of web stores too.
    http://www.piwine.com/
    It is one of the oldest.
    Randall

nice job, and cool purge system. did you use 2 tanks or a splitter and 2 gages off one tank ?? i'm looking to get a T splitter tomorrow so i can run 2 gages off one tank. that way i can use the other tank for Try-MIX and MIG with it.

Thanks for that info, and yes I was using a Y splitter, but the Y splitter was running off of one flow meter with no problem. I didnt get any flow problems that I seen. Im gonna keep using the Y splitter, and down the road get another flow meter, but right now its working for me.

If your looking for beer books
    The Masterbrewers bible
    designing great beers
    homebrewing for dummies
    radical brewing
    the joy of homebrewing
    That should do it for the beers, but wine

Wine books
    Techniques in home wine making
    Wild wines and meads
    The complete meadmaker
    Alaskan bootleggers bible (funny read)
    Cider
    The winemakers recipe handbook.

If you know exactly what fruit you want to use, just tell me and I will post a recipe.

2 tsp acid blend
    1/8 tsp grape tannin
    1 crushed Campden tablet
    1 tsp yeast nutrient
    Champagne wine yeast

Just to let you know, the campden tablet gets put into the must or juice the night before, and after you crush and mix in the tablets you place a cloth over the bucket and bound it with a rubber band. Its important you dont cover the bucket with a lid to let the sulphur escape. If you were to leave the lid on the bucket over night after putting in the camdem tablets in, the trapped sulphur will kill your yeast the next day when you goto put the yeast in the juice because the sulphur was trapped in solution and you didnt give it sufficient time to escape. A cloth rubber banded over a bucket lets the bucket breathe and lets the sulphur from the tablets to dissapate. The camdem tablets added the night before picthing the yeast will kill any germs and wild yeast in the juice giving the yeast your pitching a head start in taking over the fermentation.

The yeast nutrient, tannin, acid blend, and yeast go in the fermenter at the same time. If for some reason you cant find acid blend or you wanna save a buck, vitamin C tablets that you have in your medicine cabinet crushed up is about the same thing, and to be honest is all I use after so many years of brewing. Do me a favor and dont use bread yeast to ferment your wine or beers, it tastes like crap . Yeast gives character to a wine, and contributes more than you think. Lets just say its about as important as the juice. Nutrient gives nutrients to the yeast. If for some reason the yeast fermenting your juice becomes defficient in nutrients, it will give off H2S (hydrogen sulfide) aka smell like rotten eggs. 99% of the time if you smell this and add more nutrients the smell will go away in a day. If you let it go like that the smell may become a permanent fixture in your final product, and it will be like drinking a liquid egg fart if that makes any sense . As for tannin well it comes in powder form, but winemakes adjust tannin by the addition of grape stems, but at some wineries they use the tannin powder. I have gone as far as taking the grape stems, drying them in the oven and grinding them to a powder, and it work just as well as the powder, but its only a couple bucks for the powder so just pick it up. Tannin adds dryness and will balance out a wine that is too sweet.

If you got anymore questions well look them up on the net, Im tired of typing , just kidding, ask away.

i plan on using some of the fruits from around the yard. store bought fruit is just so bland and flavor less. for any one thats had nothing but store bought fruit its probably best you don't find out, but you could look for a farmers market to try real fruit. just remember you only get the farmers market for a few weeks and the rest of the time you will have to settle for store brand, which will then taste like soggy card board. we got a small bag od cherries last night at TOP's, almost $8 for a small bag about 1 out of 10 had a little flavor. the rest were so bland you would not know what you were eating if you didn't see it.

this year we will have red & black raspberries, strawberry's, peaches, pears, and maybe a few grapes. the grape vine is still young.
    on the way we have planted 2 black , 2 red, and 2 yellow cherry trees. we also planted 2 more peach and 1 yellow apple trees. all of these will need a few years to really produce any fruit but we have one peach tree thats been a good producer.
    i think it will be fun to turn some of the stuff we grow into wine. maybe start out with the raspberries and work up more as the yard starts to produce more edible options.

thanks for all the help.

glad the Y worked out for ya. its not the best option, but if its what ya got ya have to make do.( trust me i can relate) i already have an extra gage so i just need to get the T to mount the 2 gages.
    Last edited by fun4now; 05-25-2008 at 05:38 AM.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Its funny becaused everything you need for winemaking nature provides for example.

Acid blend=juice of 2 orange's per 5 gallon batch
    Tannin= Grape stems
    fruit=always available
    Yeast= Natural wild yeast is already on the grape or fruit skins and if you crush the grapes or fruit and let it sit around the natural wild yeast will ferment out the juice.

But you have quality ingredients at your disposal from homebrewing stores so use them, and if you need any help during any part of the process or need help in regards to what to buy as far as equipment goes just ask.

thanks, i'll let ya kno as i get a little closer to it. i got too many projects on the board at the second. gotta get my trailor finished and back on its wheels. right now its hanging from the rafters by straps for cleaning and painting. its been de-rusted and primed, now i'm going to use ruberised under coat on it then paint it. oh ya nad get an axel and wheels back on it.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

Yep.
    I seem to have a growing collection of stainless steel at my house.
    One of the reasons I joined this forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

cool colection
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES