Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Miller dialarc 250

Have a chance to purchase an older dialarc 250 (white face). Told the machine is in good condition and has been used just a few times. The original owner still has the machine. Question do these older machines have any issues regarding reliability. I'm also considering using this machine as a tig welder also any thoughts on this.

We had one of those at he high school, great machine for SMAW. I don't know exactly how old it was but it surrvived many years of immature school kids beating on it and still runs very well. I couldn't comment on how it would work with tig since I haven't tried. The only draw back that I could think of would be that they suck a lot of power, ours would draw over 100 amps at the breaker (measured by a proffesional electrician) when running near full capacity.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

I'm just running a 50 amp breaker, I don't think I will ever need full power....

Its a great machine but because of power issues in home shops I opt for a Hobart Stickmate, right out of the box new for 420 or so and runs from common 50A electric service, these days I am tempted to look at Maxstars too due to the cost of copper. The Max will tig steel and stainless.

I've got an older version of the Dialarc 250 and got to say that it's a great machine. I use it in my shop all the time, when doing both stick and TIG and haven't had any trouble with it. Very smooth arc and it doesn't seem to draw a lot of power, at least my monthly shop power bill doesn't seem to reflect it.

Bought mine from a guy I know for $200 and he even threw in 150' of welding cable, with stinger and ground clamp. You might say I got the machine for free.

Sure wish I could find those kinds of deals more often.

Yes, that was a deal. I agree about it being a fine machine, the only thing makes me leery is running them from home electric service sometimes. We see it all the time, what a deal on a 300 old monster type machine, the Dialarc is lighter and you might be able to skimp on 50A. I paid a hundred for my 300 synch, but I have forklift and 400A service.

I have a black faced Dialarc HF, rated @300A, I use exclusively for tig, on a 50A breaker.
    AutoArc 230 (MM 210)
    3035 spoolgun
    Spectrum 625
    Dialarc HF w/Coolmate 4

Default Still a tough machine, without high priced pc boards

At a previous job we had one with a built in HF and only used the setup for TIG welding. If you need to buy a HF box, the machine wouldn't be a very good deal. If you just plan on doing stick welding with it then it's a good choice if you don't have to carry it around. I cannot comment on power use because I didn't pay any attention.

Default Dialarc 250

I've had a couple experiences with the older Dialarcs and was very pleased with both of them. The first was a couple years ago at the high school I used to go to. We had one in the shop and I used it everyday...the only problem with it was the amperage dial was about 25 amps off (had to set it at about 75 to run at 100) but it would still weld circles around the AC225s we had.

We also have one of these machines in the shop that I work in now, I've used it twice and really liked it but one of the other guys uses it everyday...sometimes nonstop welding fittings together for frac tanks and half pits and we have never had a problem with it.

I see that someone else mentioned the Hobart Stickmate. I've heard that they are great little machines too, but for another $150 or so why not go for the Miller Thunderbolt XL. I've had mine since December and love it.
    At Home
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    Performance Tools 6" Bench Grinder
    Craftsman Hand Tools
    Craftsman Cordless Drills

DeWalt Angle Grinder
    1976 AMC Jeep CJ7
    1980 Ford F150 Custom
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado C1500

At Work
    Miller Bobcat 250
    2 Miller MM251s
    2 Miller MM252s
    Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC

Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    Snap-On Flux Core Welding Machine

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter
    Victor Torches

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4x4

Proud American Ham KE5TJA

The Tbolt and the Stickmate are the same machine.