Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
 
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    20

    Default

    i was wondering about this exact same topic for painting utility trailers. Is there any product like tremclad rust paint where you can just spray bare metal? Or better yet, anything you can spray through a hvlp gun?

    Hopefully someone knows of a one shot process.

    P.S. Sanding isn't an option.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Raymore Missouri
    Posts
    1,920

    Default

    Sherwinn Williams DTM.....direct to metal
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

    www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Vero Beach, fl.
    Posts
    761

    Default

    With over 500 trailers built to date, the best thing I have found is plain ole' Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer and a top Coat of Rustoleum Gloss Enamel. Cost is about $25.00 per gallon for each and about $10.00 for the thinner.

    All I do is wipe trailer down with thinners, cut the primer with about 20% thinner and shoot one good coat. No sanding of primer is needed. Mix paint the same way with about a 20% reduction with thinner and spray a couple of coats. The wetter you can spray it the more gloss it retains and smoother it lays out, spray it dry and it will look dull and rough.

    I use both siphon feed and HVLP spray guns with equally good results either way. The paint holds up for years and is easy for a customer to get touch up when needed. I've got a few customers with well taken care of trailers that are 5 years old that still look almost new.

    I have had some people tell me that Rustoleum is cheap junky paint and a poor choice but I swear by it for commercial or industrial use. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

    John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dabar39 View Post
    With over 500 trailers built to date, the best thing I have found is plain ole' Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer and a top Coat of Rustoleum Gloss Enamel. Cost is about $25.00 per gallon for each and about $10.00 for the thinner.

    All I do is wipe trailer down with thinners, cut the primer with about 20% thinner and shoot one good coat. No sanding of primer is needed. Mix paint the same way with about a 20% reduction with thinner and spray a couple of coats. The wetter you can spray it the more gloss it retains and smoother it lays out, spray it dry and it will look dull and rough.

    I use both siphon feed and HVLP spray guns with equally good results either way. The paint holds up for years and is easy for a customer to get touch up when needed. I've got a few customers with well taken care of trailers that are 5 years old that still look almost new.

    I have had some people tell me that Rustoleum is cheap junky paint and a poor choice but I swear by it for commercial or industrial use. Dave
    I second that . Its pretty much what i use 90% of the time.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    National City CA
    Posts
    1,086

    Default

    Don't degrease with mineral spirits. That's a petroleum base solvent and leaves a oily residue behind.
    Either degrease with a water based degreaser i.e. simple green or use Acetone, xylene, MEK, Lacquer thiner or something like that. these will not leave a residue behind and your paint will stick much better.
    No as for surface prep. Usually just cleaning up the splatter around the welds degrease with above chemicals prim and paint.
    The hot rolled finish is actually pretty rough and provides a good surface for paint to adhere to.

    We painted over fifty machine bases a year this way and never had one come back for paint pealing. and we did do a rebuild on a machine that was ten or so years old. the paint was worn but it was not pealing we just sanded the worn areas and repainted to whole thing.
    Last edited by kcstott; 05-04-2008 at 12:33 PM.
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    pine city mn.
    Posts
    20

    Default

    when i powder coat or paint an odd part that cant be blasted i get some preclean from eastwood.com

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Vero Beach, fl.
    Posts
    761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madcow View Post
    when i powder coat or paint an odd part that cant be blasted i get some preclean from eastwood.com
    You must really like spending money, Eastwood is very high on most of their prices. Their powder is ridiculously over priced and most other products are too.
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

    John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Baldwin, NY
    Posts
    275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dabar39 View Post
    You must really like spending money, Eastwood is very high on most of their prices. Their powder is ridiculously over priced and most other products are too.
    Agreed. BTW, thanks for swaying me to rustoleum, came out great in my opinion. Pretty durable too... and the best part, it was CHEAP!!!!
    Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

    Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

    2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
    2000 Camaro SS (Race car)

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    dallas,tx
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badd00SS View Post
    Agreed. BTW, thanks for swaying me to rustoleum, came out great in my opinion. Pretty durable too... and the best part, it was CHEAP!!!!
    Hey, Where's my thanks? I threw rustoleum out at the begining LOL

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Baldwin, NY
    Posts
    275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STRENGTH AND POWER View Post
    Hey, Where's my thanks? I threw rustoleum out at the begining LOL


    LOL, I meant a while back when I painted my trailer, I too suggested rustoleum here, im one of the first posts..
    Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

    Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

    2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
    2000 Camaro SS (Race car)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.